Thursday marks the anniversary of S.J. Sharkie’s birth.
Since the magical night when he emerged from the malfunctioning Zamboni at center ice of the Cow Palace, the ever youthful Sharkie has been a constant presence in the bay area. Due to the hyper-active energy level of this special breed of shark, Sharkie has been able to make over 6000 public appearances, and been seen at more than 700 San Jose Sharks home games since that memorable day.
No one knows how old sharkie really is. Some think they age similar to dog years, some more like humans. Various sharks have been known to live for over a hundred years, and Sharkie only feels as old as he acts. If you see him at the game tonight, wish him a happy birthday! Some S.J. Sharkie Fun Facts:
- 1st sports mascot to have his own web domain (sjsharkie.com)
- He is now on social networking (facebook.com/sjsharkie and twitter.com./sjsharkie)
- 500th Sharks game: December 13, 2003
- He has performed in 5 countries (USA, Mexico, Canada, Japan and Honduras) as well as in international waters.
- March 12, 1999: Sharkie gets stuck rappelling and delays the start of the game while he has to get rescued.