The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Sharks Snap Shot:
The Worcester Sharks (20-18-1-5, 46pts) chomped one point of a possible four points in two games last week. Worcester battled back for a point in a 3-2 shootout loss in Portland on Friday before returning home to the DCU Center in front of 7,966 fans on PINK in the RINK night in a 2-0 loss to the Bruins. The Sharks begin a season high six game road trip with a pair of games in St. John’s, NFLD on Tuesday and Wednesday with a 6pm (EST) start time. Worcester is 49-28-9 combined in St. John’s x2, Bridgeport, Springfield, Adirondack, and Providence – their six game road swing (thanks Bill Ballou)
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee is forward Tim Kennedy. Tim recorded two points (1-1-2) and fired five shots on goal in two games last week. Kennedy leads the Sharks in goals (13), assists (19), and points (32).Few things to know:
- The Sharks are currently in 3rd place (20-18-1-5, 46pts) in the Atlantic Division and 9th place overall in the Eastern Conference.
- The San Jose Sharks have 9 players on their roster that have spent time in Worcester (Couture, Desjardins, Pavelski, Sheppard, Wingels, Braun, Demers, Irwin, and Greiss).
- Denny Urban was signed to a standard player AHL contract on Feb 1.
- Defenseman Nick Petrecki has been sent to Worcester on a conditioning assignment from the San Jose Sharks on 2/3. Petrecki made his NHL debut in San Jose’s 3-2SOW over the Anaheim Ducks on 1/29 and played 11:58.
- Defenseman Matt Irwin scored his first NHL goal in San Jose’s 4-0 win over the Colorado Avalanche on Jan 26. Matt now has two points (1-1-2) in seven games for the San Jose Sharks.
- Forward Tim Kennedy returned to the Sharks lineup on Jan 25 after missing nine games due to injury. Kennedy leads the Sharks with 31 points (13-18-31) in 35 games.
- Veteran forward Bracken Kearns was named to the 2013 AHL All-Star Classic and scored a goal for the Eastern Conference.
- Rookie Daniil Tarasov had a six game point streak (3-4-7) snapped on Saturday vs. Providence.
- Worcester has a 13-9-1-3 record vs. the Atlantic Division this season. – best record within the division.
- The Sharks are 2nd in the AHL with 14 one-goal wins. Worcester is 14-6-1-5 in one goal games this season.
- The Sharks lead the AHL with 6 wins when trailing after 40 minutes of play this season (6-13-0-4). In addition the Sharks are 6-3-0-1 when tied after 40 minutes of play.
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 529 wins in his career (15th season) and 3rd in games coached in the AHL with 1160. Sommer is 11 games behind Fred “Bun” Cook (1171 games coached) for 2nd most in AHL history.
- Worcester has played 13 overtime games this season (2nd most in AHL) and lead the AHL with playing in 10 shootouts (5-5 record).
- The Sharks The Sharks hit the road for six straight games and begins with a 6pm (EST) start on Tuesday and Wednesday in St. John’s NFLD. Worcester closes out the week with a 3pm start on Sunday in Bridgeport.
Top 3… Last Week
Last Week: (0-1-0-1) 1pt, 2gp
- Daniil Tarasov extended his point streak to six games and scored the game tying goal late in the 3rd period in the Sharks 3-2SOL at Portland on Friday!
- Tim Kennedy had a goal and an assist in the Sharks 3-2SOL at Portland on Friday!
- Goaltender Alex Stalock allowed one goal on 24 shots in the Sharks 2-0 loss to the Bruins on Saturday!
Fri. 2/1 SOL Worcester SHARKS 2 @ Portland Pirates 3
Sat. 2/2 L Providence Bruins 2 @ Worcester SHARKS 0This week:
Tue. 2/5 Worcester SHARKS @ St. John’s Ice Caps – 6pm
Wed. 2/6 Worcester SHARKS @ St. John’s Ice Caps – 6pm
Sun. 2/10 Worcester SHARKS @ Bridgeport Sound Tigers – 3pm
Rewind the Tape:2.1.13 – Portland 3 – Worcester 2 – SOL – Cumberland County Civic Center
The Worcester Sharks (20-17-1-5, 46pts) fell to the Atlantic division leading Portland Pirates (26-16-1-1, 54pts) 3-2 in a shootout on Friday evening in front of 4,280 fans at the Cumberland County Civic Center. Harri Sateri made 28 saves in net for the Sharks while Daniil Tarasov extended his point streak to six games (3-4-7) with a third period game tying score goal and assist. Tim Kennedy scored his tram leading 13th goal of the season and picked up a helper in the shootout loss as the Sharks lost their fifth straight game vs. the Pirates but were able to battle back from a 2-0 deficit for a tough point on the road.2.2.13 – Providence 2 – Worcester 0 – L – DCU Center
The Worcester Sharks (20-18-1-5, 46pts) fell to the division rival Providence Bruins (25-16-0-3, 53pts) 2-0 on Saturday evening in front of 7,966 fans at the DCU Center. The game marked the annual Pink in the Rink game, benefitting the Cup Crusaders. The Sharks fell behind early in the first period on a goal from Providence’s Craig Cunningham (10th) and weren’t able to erase the deficit. Alex Stalock was stellar, turning aside 23 out of the 24 shots that he saw. Unfortunately for the Sharks, Bruins goalie Niklas Svedberg had quite the game as well. Svedberg picked up his second shutout of the season, stopping all 26 shots that he faced. Kyle MacKinnon (7th) added an empty netter late to secure the victory for the Bruins. Worcester dropped their sixth straight home game (0-4-0-2) and fell under .500 at the DCU Center in the loss.
Season by the Numbers:
Record: 20-18-1-5, 46 points – 3rd in Atlantic and 9th in Eastern Conference
Win percentage: .523% - 17th in AHL
Home Record: 8-9-1-3
Away Record: 12-9-0-2
Attendance: 92,557 through 21 games (4,470 average)
Goals Scored: 109, 2.48 goals per game, 23rd in AHL
Goals Allowed: 125, 2.91 goals against per game, 19th in AHL
Shots per game: 29.41 – 21st in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 30.27 – 16th in AHL
Score 1st: 11-8-0-1 when scoring first (.575%)
1 goal games: 14-6-1-5 in one goal games -14 wins 2nd most in AHL
PP: 15.7%, 20th in AHL (32-204)
PK: 82.1%, 18th in AHL (35-196)
SHG – 2 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 4 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 21.27 penalty minutes per game, 5th in AHL
Fighting Majors: 54 – 3rd in AHL
OT Games – 13 – (2-1 record in OT) – Hamilton and Petrecki OTG
SO Games – 10 – (5-4 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 37 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
Players receiving call-ups to San Jose – 8
NHL debuts – 2 Worcester players made their NHL debuts this season (Matt Irwin and Nick Petrecki)
Call-ups to San Jose – 8 different call-ups to San Jose this season
Top Worcester Sharks:
Goals Kennedy (13)
Game Winners Matsumoto (3)
Assists Kennedy (18)
Points Kennedy (13-18-31)
Power Play Points Kennedy (5-9-14)
Shots Reid (91 shots)
PIM Pelech (150)
Fighting Pen. Pelech (12)
Plus/Minus Grant (+7)
Wins Stalock (12)
G.A.A. Stalock (2.65)
Save % Sateri and Stalock (.910)
Shutouts Stalock (1)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com