The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Sharks Snap Shot:
The Worcester Sharks (23-20-1-5, 52pts) chomped two out of a possible six points in three road games last week to conclude a season long five game home stand with a 3-2-0-0 record. After a nine day layoff, the Sharks dropped a 3-1 decision in Springfield on Friday before another late game winner in a 3-2 victory at Adirondack on Saturday. Worcester ended the five game road trip with a 3-1 loss at Providence to the Bruins on Saturday. Worcester now has 15 wins on the road this season (tied for most in Eastern Conference) and returns home for three games this weekend at the DCU Center (Friday vs. Manchester, Saturday vs. Portland, and Sunday vs. Springfield).
Bid on Worcester Sharks PINK in the RINK jerseys to benefit Cup Crusaders. Auction ends Feb 20 at 5 p.m. PT.
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee was rookie Freddie Hamilton. Freddie scored his third game winning goal of the season with 3:26 remaining in the 3rd period in a 3-2 win at Adirondack on Saturday night. Hamilton finished the three game work week with two points (1-1-2) and three shots on goal.Few things to know:
- The Sharks are currently in 3rd place (23-20-1-5, 52pts) in the Atlantic Division and 9th place overall in the Eastern Conference.
- The San Jose Sharks currently have 10 players on their roster that have spent time in Worcester (Couture, Desjardins, Pavelski, Sheppard, Wingels, Braun, Demers, Greiss, Kennedy, and Pelech).
- The San Jose Sharks are currently in 2nd place in the Pacific Division with 17 points and a 7-4-3 record.
- SJ Sharks recalled Forward Tim Kennedy on Feb 12. Kennedy has a goal in two games with San Jose and is currently still on recall. Tim continues to lead the Worcester Sharks with 37 points (13-24-37) in 37 games… Kennedy has a two game point streak (0-5-5) in Worcester.
- Captain John McCarthy became the 5th player in Worcester Sharks history to score 50 career goals with his 8th of the season in 3-2 win at Adirondack on Feb 16.
- Rookie Daniil Tarasov has points in nine of his last 12 games (7-4-11) - which includes two game winning goals.
- All-Star Bracken Kearns leads Worcester with eight power play goals and is second with seven fighting majors.
- The Sharks signed defenseman Adam Comrie to an SPC for the rest of the season. Comrie had 17 goals and 106 penalty minutes in 45 games with Reading (ECHL) this season. Comrie has one assist and is +4 in three games with Worcester.
- Worcester has a 15-10-1-3 record vs. the Atlantic Division this season. – best record within the division.
- The Sharks are tied for 1st in the AHL with 16 one-goal wins. Worcester is 16-6-1-5 in one goal games this season. – Worcester is 12-3-0-2 in one goal games on the road this season – best in AHL.
- The Sharks lead the AHL with 6 wins when trailing after 40 minutes of play this season (6-14-0-4). In addition the Sharks are 8-4-0-1 when tied after 40 minutes of play.
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 532 wins in his career (15th season) and 3rd in games coached in the AHL with 1165. Sommer is six games behind Fred “Bun” Cook (1171 games coached) for 2nd most in AHL history.
- Click HERE to bid on a Worcester Sharks PINK in the RINK jersey to benefit the Cup Crusaders! Auction ends on Wednesday night at 8pm (EST)
- The Sharks will host a “Skate with the Sharks” on Tuesday night at the North Star Youth Forum in Westborough from 6-8pm.
Top 3… Last Week
Last Week: (1-2-0-0) 2pts, 3gp
- Freddie Hamilton scores the GWG and adds an assist in the Sharks 3-2 win at Adirondack on Saturday!
- John McCarthy fires seven shots and picks up a goal and an assist in a 3-2 win at Adirondack on Saturday!
- Adam Comrie picks up an assist and is +4 in his first three game with the Sharks this past weekend!
Fri. 2/15 L Worcester SHARKS 1 @ Springfield Falcons 3
Sat. 2/16 W Worcester SHARKS 3 @ Adirondack 2
Sun. 2/17 L Worcester SHARKS 1 @ Providence 3 This week:
Fri. 2/22 Manchester Monarchs @ Worcester SHARKS – 7:30pm
Sat. 2/23 Portland Pirates @ Worcester SHARKS – 7pm
Sun. 2/24 Springfield Falcons @ Worcester SHARKS – 3pm
Rewind the Tape:2.15.13 – Springfield 3 – Worcester 1 – L – Mass Mutual Center
The Worcester Sharks (22-19-1-5, 50pts) kicked off a 3-in-3 road weekend with a 3-1 loss to the Springfield Falcons (29-11-4-3, 65pts) on Friday night in front of 2,966 fans at the Mass Mutual Center. Harri Sateri made 27 saves for Worcester in his 3rd straight start in net and Daniil Tarasov (4-0-4) extended his point streak to three games with the only Worcester score. 15 combined power plays slowed down the game as Worcester fell to 2-1-0-0 vs. the Falcons this season. The Sharks are now 2-1-0-0 on their five game road trip.2.16.13 – Adirondack 2 – Worcester 3 – W – Glens Falls Civic Center
The Worcester Sharks (23-19-1-5, 52pts) picked up their 12th 1-goal victory on the road this season with a 3-2 win over the Adirondack Phantoms (20-25-2-1, 43pts) on Saturday night in front of 4,442 fans at the Glens Falls Civic Center. Alex Stalock made 26 saves to snap a personal six game skid (0-4-0-2) and Jon Matsumoto scored against his former team while captain John McCarthy made it three goals in his last three games. Freddie Hamilton broke a 2-2 tie late in the third period for the game winner as the Sharks won 3-2. The Sharks are now 3-1-0-0 on their five game road trip.2.17.13 – Providence 3 – Worcester 1 – L – Dunkin Donuts Center
The Worcester Sharks (23-20-1-5, 52pts) finished off their season long five game road trip with a 3-1 loss to the Atlantic Division leading Providence Bruins (30-17-0-3, 63pts) on Sunday afternoon in front of 11,153 fans at the Dunkin Donuts Center. The Sharks finished the road trip 3-2-0-0 and return home for three games next weekend at the DCU Center beginning with a 7:30pm start vs. the Manchester Monarchs on Friday night. Alex Stalock made 27 saves in his second straight start and Yanni Gourde broke a 22 game goalless drought with a late third period goal for the Sharks in the loss.
Season by the Numbers:
Record: 23-20-1-5, 52 points – 3rd in Atlantic and 9th in Eastern Conference
Win percentage: .531% - 19th in AHL
Home Record: 8-9-1-3
Away Record: 15-11-0-2
Attendance: 92,557 through 21 games (4,470 average)
Goals Scored: 121, 2.47 goals per game, 25th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 138, 2.82 goals against per game, 16th in AHL
Shots per game: 29.57 – 21st in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 30.06 – 14th in AHL
Score 1st: 13-8-0-1 when scoring first (.614%)
1 goal games: 16-6-1-5 in one goal games -16 wins most in AHL
PP: 15.9%, 19th in AHL (36-226)
PK: 82.1%, 19th in AHL (40-224)
SHG – 2 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 4 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 21.80 penalty minutes per game, 5th in AHL
Fighting Majors: 61 – 4th in AHL
OT Games – 13 – (2-1 record in OT) – Hamilton and Petrecki OTG
SO Games – 10 – (5-5 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 38 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
Players recalled to San Jose – 10
NHL debuts – 2 Worcester players made their NHL debuts this season (Matt Irwin and Nick Petrecki)
Top Worcester Sharks:
Goals Kennedy (13)
Game Winners Hamilton and Matsumoto (3)
Assists Kennedy (24)
Points Kennedy (13-24-37)
Power Play Points Kennedy (5-11-16)
Shots McCarthy (96 shots)
PIM Pelech (181)
Fighting Pen. Pelech (12)
Plus/Minus Kennedy (+8)
Wins Stalock (12)
G.A.A. Sateri (2.49)
Save % Sateri (.915)
Shutouts Sateri and Stalock (1)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com