The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Sharks Snap Shot:
The Worcester Sharks (22-18-1-5, 50pts) chomped four out of a possible four points in two games last week to kick off a then six game road trip. The Sharks won another stunner with a come from behind 3-2 victory in St. John’s on Tuesday followed by their first road shutout of the season in a 4-0 win at St. John’s on Wednesday. The Sharks game on Sunday in Bridgeport was postponed due to the blizzard of 2013. Worcester now has 14 wins on the road this season (2nd most in Eastern Conference) and continues their trip with three games this weekend (Friday at Springfield, Saturday at Adirondack, and Sunday at Providence).
See the latest "Hamer Time" blog from forward Freddie Hamilton
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee is goalie Harri Sateri. Harri went 2-0-0 in two games last week in St. John’s including his first shutout of the season with 21 saves in a 4-0 win on Wednesday. Sateri allowed just two goals on 53 shots (.962 save %) and a 1.00GAA in the two wins last week which moved his record to 10-9-2 this season. Tim Kennedy (0-5-5), Daniil Tarasov (3-0-3), and Bracken Kearns (2-2-4 and FM) also deserve an honorable mention. Few things to know:
- The Sharks are currently in 3rd place (22-18-1-5, 50pts) in the Atlantic Division and 8th place overall in the Eastern Conference.
- The San Jose Sharks currently have 9 players on their roster that have spent time in Worcester (Couture, Desjardins, Pavelski, Sheppard, Wingels, Braun, Demers, Greiss, and Pelech).
- The San Jose Sharks are currently in 2nd place in the Pacific Division with 16 points and a 7-2-2 record.
- Forward/Defenseman Matt Pelech received his first recall with the San Jose Sharks on Feb 11. “Pelly” is currently 3rd in the AHL with 177 penalty minutes and leads Worcester with 12 fighting majors.
- Defenseman Matt Irwin was loaned back to Worcester on Feb 10. Irwin had two points (1-1-2) in nine games with the San Jose Sharks.
- Forward Tim Kennedy continues to lead the Worcester Sharks with 37 points (13-24-37) in 37 games… Kennedy has a two game point streak (0-5-5).
- Rookie Daniil Tarasov has points in eight of his last nine games (6-4-10) and is working a two game goal scoring streak (3-0-3) – which includes two game winning goals.
- All-Star Bracken Kearns leads Worcester with eight power play goals (5th in AHL).
- The Sharks signed defenseman Adam Comrie to an SPC for the rest of the season. Comrie had 17 goals and 106 penalty minutes in 45 games with Reading (ECHL) this season.
- The Sharks released Mike Wilson and Mike Banwell from their PTO’s last week. In addition, Mikael Tam was loaned back to San Francisco (ECHL).
- Worcester has a 15-9-1-3 record vs. the Atlantic Division this season. – best record within the division.
- The Sharks are tied for 1st in the AHL with 15 one-goal wins. Worcester is 15-6-1-5 in one goal games this season. – Worcester is 11-3-0-2 in one goal games on the road this season – best in AHL.
- The Sharks lead the AHL with 6 wins when trailing after 40 minutes of play this season (6-13-0-4). In addition the Sharks are 7-3-0-1 when tied after 40 minutes of play.
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 531 wins in his career (15th season) and 3rd in games coached in the AHL with 1162. Sommer is nine games behind Fred “Bun” Cook (1171 games coached) for 2nd most in AHL history.
- Worcester has played 13 overtime games this season (3rd most in AHL) and lead the AHL with playing in 10 shootouts (5-5 record).
- The Sharks continue their five game road trip with a 3-in-3 weekend (Friday at Springfield, Saturday at Adirondack, and Sunday at Providence)
Top 3… Last Week
Last Week: (2-0-0-0) 4pts, 2gp
- Harri Sateri made 21 saves in his first shutout of the season in Worcester’s 4-0 win in St. John’s on Wednesday!
- Daniil Tarasov scored twice, including the game winner late in the 3rd period in the Sharks 3-2 win at St. John’s on Tuesday!
- Tim Kennedy recorded three assists in the Sharks 3-2 win at St. John’s on Tuesday!
Tue. 2/5 W Worcester SHARKS 3 @ St. John’s IceCaps 2
Wed. 2/6 W Worcester SHARKS 4 @ St. John’s IceCaps 0
Sun. 2/10 PSP Worcester SHARKS @ Bridgeport Sound Tigers – postponedThis week:
Fri. 2/15 Worcester SHARKS @ Springfield Falcons – 7pm
Sat. 2/16 Worcester SHARKS @ Adirondack – 7pm
Sun. 2/17 Worcester SHARKS @ Providence – 3:05pm
Rewind the Tape:2.5.13 – St. John’s 2 – Worcester 3 – W – Mile One Centre
The Worcester Sharks (21-18-1-5, 48pts) opened up their season long six game road trip with a hard fought come from behind 3-2 victory over the St. John’s IceCaps (21-23-1-2, 45pts) on Tuesday evening in front of another sellout crowd of 6,287 fans at the Mile One Centre. Bracken Kearns tied the score at 16:42 of the 3rd period with his team leading 7th power play goal and rookie Daniil Tarasov won it with 91 seconds left deflecting home a Tim Kennedy shot from the left circle. Harri Sateri was brilliant making 30 saves for his 9th win of the season as Kennedy (0-3-3) and Kearns (1-2-3) each picked up three points in the win.2.6.13 – St. John’s 0 – Worcester 4 – W – Mile One Centre
The Worcester Sharks (22-18-1-5, 50pts) swept their two game set in St. John’s with a penalty filled 4-0 victory over the IceCaps (21-24-1-2, 45pts) on Wednesday evening in front of another sellout crowd of 6,287 fans at the Mile One Centre. Daniil Tarasov, Bracken Kearns, and John McCarthy all scored in the second period for Worcester in a game that featured five fights and 125 penalty minutes. Harri Sateri picked up his first shutout of the season with 21 saves and John McCarthy also scored in the third period. Tim Kennedy finished with two assists as the Sharks improved to 2-0-0-0 on their season long six game road trip.2.10.13 – Bridgeport – Worcester – Webster Bank Arena – Postponed due to blizzard
Makeup date to be announced at a later date
Season by the Numbers:
Record: 22-18-1-5, 50 points – 3rd in Atlantic and 8th in Eastern Conference
Win percentage: .543% - 18th in AHL
Home Record: 8-9-1-3
Away Record: 14-9-0-2
Attendance: 92,557 through 21 games (4,470 average)
Goals Scored: 116, 2.52 goals per game, 22nd in AHL
Goals Allowed: 130, 2.83 goals against per game, 16th in AHL
Shots per game: 29.57 – 20th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 30.11 – 14th in AHL
Score 1st: 13-8-0-1 when scoring first (.614%)
1 goal games: 15-6-1-5 in one goal games -15 wins most in AHL
PP: 16.6%, 14th in AHL (35-211)
PK: 82.5%, 18th in AHL (36-206)
SHG – 2 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 4 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 22.24 penalty minutes per game, 4th in AHL
Fighting Majors: 60 – 3rd in AHL
OT Games – 13 – (2-1 record in OT) – Hamilton and Petrecki OTG
SO Games – 10 – (5-5 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 37 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
Players receiving call-ups to San Jose – 9
NHL debuts – 2 Worcester players made their NHL debuts this season (Matt Irwin and Nick Petrecki)
Top Worcester Sharks:
Goals Kennedy (13)
Game Winners Matsumoto (3)
Assists Kennedy (24)
Points Kennedy (13-24-37)
Power Play Points Kennedy (5-11-16)
Shots Reid (95 shots)
PIM Pelech (177)
Fighting Pen. Pelech (12)
Plus/Minus Kennedy (+8)
Wins Stalock (12)
G.A.A. Sateri (2.51)
Save % Sateri (.914)
Shutouts Sateri and Stalock (1)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com