The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Sharks Snap Shot:
The Worcester Sharks (7-8-1-0, 15pts) chomped four out of a possible six points with two more shootout victories in three games last week despite scoring just four goals.
The Sharks ended their four game road swing (2-1-1-0) with a 4-1 loss in Manchester on Friday. Worcester returned home on Saturday with a come from behind 2-1 shootout win over the Sound Tigers and followed up on Sunday with another come from behind shootout win with a 3-2 victory over the Monarchs at the DCU Center.
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee is goaltender Troy Grosenick. The 24-year-old rookie won back-to-back shootout games last week with a 19 save/4-for-9 in shootout performance in 2-1 shootout win on Saturday vs. Bridgeport followed by an 18 save/4-for-5 in shootout performance in 3-2 shootout win on Sunday vs. Manchester.Few things to know:
- The Worcester Sharks are currently in 5th place (7-8-1-0, 15pts) in the Atlantic Division and 14th place overall in the Eastern Conference.
- The San Jose Sharks currently have 12 players on their roster that have spent time in Worcester (Couture, Desjardins, Pavelski, Sheppard, Wingels, Braun, Demers, Stalock, Irwin, Vlasic, Nieto, and McCarthy).
- The San Jose Sharks are currently in 2nd place in the Pacific Division and 4th place in the Western Conference with 35 points and a 15-3-5 record.
- After becoming the final team in the AHL to play an overtime game on Nov 13, the #WorSharks have currently played five of their last six games past regulation (4-1-1-0) – all four wins coming in shootout.
- The Worcester Sharks have won 4-of-last-5 games via the shootout and are tied with the Springfield Falcons with four shootout victories.
- Rookie goaltender Troy Grosenick ranks 4th among all AHL goaltenders with a 2.03 GAA and is 4-2-0-0 this season.
- Dan DaSilva returned to the Worcester Sharks on Nov 20 after leading the ECHL with 26 points (7-19-26) in just 14 games for the Ontario Reign and was recently named the ECHL Player of the Week for Nov 11-17. DaSilva currently ranks 9th all-time in Worcester Sharks history with 107 points (43-64-107) in 181 games for Team Teal and is the franchise leader in playoff points with 18 (5-13-18) in 23 Calder Cup playoff games. A member of the original Crazed Rats Line with John McCarthy and Andrew Desjardins; DaSilva had his best professional season with the Sharks in 2010-11 as he set career highs in points (53), goals (21), assists (32), and was +23 as the Sharks won the regular season Atlantic Division title with a 49-25-0-6 record.
- Despite missing the last five games due to injury, Daniil Tarasov leads the club with seven goals and 2nd with 12 points (7-5-12) through just 10 games. Tarasov leads the entire AHL with three game winning goals.
- Adam Comrie leads all Worcester d-men with seven points (1-6-7) in 11 games.
- Worcester Sharks alumni Alex Stalock is a perfect 3-0-0 with the San Jose Sharks this season with a 1.41GAA and a .952 save %.
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 547 wins in his career (16th season) and 2nd in games coached in the AHL with 1207.
- The Sharks play just once during an 11 day stretch.
- Friday at 7pm the Sharks visit the Portland Pirates in Lewiston, ME.
Top 3… Last Week
Last Week: (2-1-0-0) 4pts, 3gp
- Troy Grosenick made 19 saves and was 4-for-4 in the shootout in the Sharks 2-1 shootout win vs. Bridgeport on Saturday!
- Troy Grosenick made 18 saves and was 4-for-5 in the shootout in the Sharks 3-2 shootout win vs. Manchester on Sunday!
- Taylor Doherty scored his 1st goal of the season to force OT in the Sharks 2-1 shootout win vs. Bridgeport on Saturday!
Fri. 11/22 L Worcester SHARKS 1 @ Manchester Monarchs 4
Sat. 11/23 SOW Bridgeport Sound Tigers 1 @ Worcester SHARKS 2
Sun. 11/24 SOW Manchester Monarchs 2 @ Worcester SHARKS 3
Rewind the Tape:
11.22.13 – Manchester 4 – Worcester 1 – L – Verizon Wireless Arena
The Worcester Sharks (5-8-1-0, 11pts) closed out their four game road trip (2-1-1-0) with a 4-1 loss to the Manchester Monarchs (12-3-1-2, 27pts) at the Verizon Wireless Arena on Friday night to kick-off a 3-in-3 weekend for the Sharks. Curt Gogol scored the only goal for Worcester while Harri Sateri allowed four goals on 21 shots in the loss. JF Berube made 22 saves for Manchester and stopped Bracken Kearns on a penalty shot bid late in the second period for his 3rd win of the season.11.23.13 – Bridgeport 1 – Worcester 2 – SOW – DCU Center
Taylor Doherty scored early in the third period and Troy Grosenick was brilliant in the shootout as the Worcester Sharks (6-8-1-0, 13pts) defeated the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (4-8-1-3, 11pts) by the count of 2-1 in the shootout at the DCU Center on Saturday night. Brodie Reid and James Livingston scored in the shootout for Worcester while Troy Grosenick stopped all four shooters in the victory. Worcester outshot Bridgeport 39-20 in a feisty affair as the Sharks improved to 3-0 in the shootout this season.11.24.13 – Manchester 2 – Worcester 3 – SOW – DCU Center
For the second straight game on home ice, the Worcester Sharks (7-8-1-0, 15pts) battled back when trailing after 40 minutes and won in the shootout with a 3-2 win over the Manchester Monarchs (13-3-1-3, 30pts) at the DCU Center on Sunday afternoon to close out a 3-in-3 weekend 2-1-0-0. Matt Tennyson and Rylan Schwartz scored early in the third period to erase a 2-0 deficit before Dan DaSilva and Sebastian Stalberg scored in the shootout for the win. Troy Grosenick made 18 saves and stopped 4-of-5 shooters in the shootout as Worcester improved to 4-0 in the shootout this season.
Season by the numbers...Top Worcester Sharks:
Record: 7-8-1-0, 15 points – 5th in Atlantic
Win percentage: .469% – 26th in AHL
Home Record: 4-5-0-0
Away Record: 3-3-1-0
Attendance: 28,439 through nine games this season – 3,160 average – 26th in AHL
Goals Scored: 35, 2.19 goals per game, 28th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 48, 3.00 goals against per game, 21st in AHL
Shots per game: 31.19 – 7th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 25.63 – 3rd in AHL
Score 1st: 3-1-1-0 when scoring first (.700%)
1 goal games: 5-3-1-0 in one goal games
PP: 15.6%, 22nd in AHL (12-77)
PK: 83.5%, 13th in AHL (13-79)
SHG – 2 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 3 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 25.00 penalty minutes per game, 3rd in AHL
Fighting Majors: 25 – 5th in AHL
OT Games – 5 – (0-1 record in OT)
SO Games – 4 – (4-0 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 24 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
NHL debuts – 1 Worcester Sharks alumni making their NHL debuts this season
Goals Tarasov (7)
Game Winners Tarasov (3)
Assists Kearns (10)
Points Kearns (3-10-13)
Power play Points Kearns (3-5-8)
Shots Reid (44)
PIM Doherty (54)
Fighting Pen. Doherty, Gogol, Bonneau, Pelech (4)
Plus/Minus Doherty (+1)
Wins Grosenick (4)
G.A.A. Grosenick (2.03)
Save % Grosenick (.920)
Shutouts Grosenick (1)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com