The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Sharks Snap Shot:
The Worcester Sharks (2-4-0-1, 5pts) chomped out four of a possible six points in their first 3-in-3 weekend of the season. Worcester snagged their first win of the season with a 5-1 victory over the Sound Tigers at the DCU Center on Friday, dropped a 5-1 decision in Manchester on Saturday, and finished strong with a 5-2 win over the Sound Tigers at the DCU on Sunday afternoon.
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee is forward Tim Kennedy. In three games last week; Kennedy recorded six points (2-4-6), was the #1 star on Friday and Sunday, fired five shots, and finished -1. Kennedy had a pair of three point games (1-2-3) in the Sharks first two wins of the season to pace the way offensively for the Sharks.
See a report on the rest of the Sharks Prospects
Few things to know:
- The Sharks welcomed their 1,000,000th fan through the DCU Center turnstiles on Sunday afternoon Currently the Sharks have had 1,001,797 fans attend a regular season game in the 6+ years in Worcester. The Sharks will honor an honorary 1,000,000th fan before the Sharks game on Nov 17.
- The Sharks are currently in 12th place in the Eastern Conference (2-4-0-1, 5pts).
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 511 wins in his career (15th season).
- Tim Kennedy had a pair of three point games (1-2-3) in the Sharks victories on Friday and Sunday over the Sound Tigers. Kennedy leads the Sharks with eight points (3-5-8) in seven games.
- Rookie Sebastian Stalberg leads the Sharks with four goals and ranks 3rd in the AHL among rookies in goals scored.
- Jon Matsumoto, Bracken Kearns, Curt Gogol, John McCarthy, and Danny Groulx all scored their first goals of the season last weekend.
- Alex Stalock picked up career victories 60 and 61 with a pair of wins over the Sound Tigers last weekend.
- Worcester travel to Providence on Friday at 7:05pm, host St. John’s on Saturday at 7pm, and host the Monarchs on Sunday at 3pm.
Top 3… Last Week
- Tim Kennedy had a pair of three point games (1-2-3) in a pair of victories over the Sound Tigers on Friday and Sunday.
- Goaltender Alex Stalock posted a 2-0-0 record with a .932 save % over the weekend.
- Jon Matsumoto scored his first two goals as a member of the Worcester Sharks in the pair of victories last weekend.
Last Week: (2-1-0-0) 4pts, 3gp
Fri. 10/26 W Bridgeport Sound Tigers 1 @ Worcester SHARKS 5
Sat. 10/27 L Worcester SHARKS 1 @ Manchester Monarchs 5
Sun. 10/28 W Bridgeport Sound Tigers 2 @ Worcester SHARKS 5
Fri. 11/2 Worcester SHARKS @ Providence Bruins – 7:05pm
Sat. 11/3 St. John’s IceCaps @ Worcester SHARKS – 7:00pm
Sun. 11/4 Manchester Monarchs @ Worcester SHARKS – 3:00pm
Rewind the Tape:10.27.12 – Worcester 1 – Manchester 5 – L – Verizon Wireless Arena
10.26.12 – Worcester 5 – Bridgeport 1 – W – DCU Center
The Worcester Sharks (1-3-0-1) kicked off their first 3-in-3 weekend with their first win of the 2012-13 season with a convincing 5-1 victory over the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (3-1-0-0) on Friday night at the DCU Center. Alex Stalock made 18 saves in the win for Worcester and five different players scored for the Sharks first win at home and for the season. Tim Kennedy (1-2-3) and James Sheppard (1-2-3) each picked up three points and Curt Gogol grabbed the game winner in the four goal victory. Jon Matsumoto and Bracken Kearns scored their first goals as a member of the Sharks in the win.
The Worcester Sharks (1-4-0-1) dropped their 12th straight road game dating back to last season with a 5-1 loss to the Manchester Monarchs (4-1-0-0) on Saturday night at the Verizon Wireless Arena. Five different skaters scored for the Monarchs as Sharks netminder Harri Sateri was pulled early in the 2nd period in the loss. Sebastian Stalberg scored his team leading 4th goal in the loss as the Sharks fell to 0-4-3 in their last seven games in Manchester.10.28.12 – Worcester 5 – Bridgeport 2 – W – DCU Center
The Worcester Sharks (2-4-0-1) finished off their first 3-in-3 weekend with another convincing 5-2 victory over the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (4-2-0-0) on Sunday afternoon as the Sharks welcomed their 1,000,000th fan at the DCU Center. Alex Stalock made 33 saves in the win for Worcester. Tim Kennedy (1-2-3), Danny Groulx (1-2-3), and Sena Acolatse (1-2-3) each picked up three points, with Groulx grabbing the game winner in the three goal victory. John McCarthy scored his first of the season and Jon Matsumoto netted his 2nd of the weekend in a feisty affair at the DCU Center.Sharks in the Atlantic
The Sharks are swimming in 4th place with 5 points (2-4-0-1) in the Atlantic Division through 7 games, which is 5 points behind the first place Manchester Monarchs (10pts in 6gp), 3 points behind the 2nd place St. John’s IceCaps (8pts in 8gp), 2 points behind the 3rd place Portland Pirates (7pts in 7gp), and 1 point ahead of the 4th place Providence Bruins (4pts in 6gp) to round out a very choppy Atlantic Division.
Season by the Numbers:
Record: 2-4-0-1, 5 points – 4th in Atlantic and 12th in Eastern Conference
Win percentage: .357% - 24th in AHL
Home Record: 2-1-0-0
Away Record: 0-3-0-1
Attendance: 11,083 through 3 games (3,694 average – 26th in AHL)
Goals Scored: 20, 2.86 goals per game, 16th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 17, 3.86 goals against per game, 28th in AHL
Shots per game: 32.00 –7th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 27.57 – 7th in AHL
Score 1st: 2-0-0-0 when scoring first (1.000%)
One goal games: 0-0-0-1 in one goal games
PP: 17.9%, 16th in AHL (7-39)
PK: 78.6%, 20th in AHL (6-28)
SHG – 0 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 3 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 20.14 penalty minutes per game, 10th in AHL
Fighting Majors: 7– 4th in AHL
OT Games – 1 – (0-0 record in OT)
SO Games – 1 – (0-1 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 23 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
Top Worcester Sharks:
Goals: Stalberg (4)
Game Winners: Gogol and Kennedy (1)
Assists: Irwin and Kennedy (5)
Points: Kennedy (3-5-8)
Power Play Points: Kennedy (1-3-4)
Shots: Stalberg (25 shots)
PIM: Pelech (22)
Fighting Pen.: Pelech (2)
Plus/Minus: Banwell (+2)
G.A.A.: Stalock (3.23)
Save %: Stalock (.881)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com