The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Sharks Snap Shot:
The Worcester Sharks (0-1-0-1, 1pt) chomped one out of a possible four points in two games last week in Norfolk, VA to open up the 2012-13 regular season. The Sharks dropped a 4-2 decision in Norfolk on Friday (2 goals by Sebastian Stalberg) and grabbed a point in a 4-3 shootout loss to the Admirals on Saturday (3rd period tying goal by Matt Tennyson).
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee is center James Sheppard. James assisted on both of the Sharks goals on Friday and scored his first career AHL goal in Norfolk on Saturday. In two games last week; Sheppard scored a goal, added two assists, fired four shots, and finished +1 to lead the way offensively for Worcester in their opening weekend on the road.
See a report on the rest of the Sharks Prospects
Few things to know:
- The Sharks are currently in 9th place in the Eastern Conference (0-1-0-1, 1pt)
- The goal scored by James Sheppard on Saturday night in Norfolk was his first career goal in the AHL in six games played. Sheppard has 11 goals in the NHL in 224 games with the Minnesota Wild.
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 509 wins in his career (15th season).
- Freddie Hamilton and Travis Oleksuk each made their professional debuts with the Sharks this past weekend.
- Worcester travels to Lewiston, ME on Friday at 7pm to battle the Pirates before returning home to host the Albany Devils on Saturday at 7pm for the Sharks home opener at the DCU Center.
Top 3… Last Week!
- Rookie forward Sebastian Stalberg scored twice and was the #3 star in the Sharks 4-2 loss to the Admirals on Friday!
- Rookie defenseman Matt Tennyson tied the score midway through the third period for his first marker of the season in the Sharks 4-3 shootout loss in Norfolk on Saturday!
- Defenseman Matt Irwin picked up two assists, fired five shots, and was +3 in the Sharks 4-3 shootout loss in Norfolk on Saturday!
Last Week: (0-1-0-1) 1pts, 2gp
Fri., 10/12 L Worcester SHARKS 2 @ Norfolk Admirals 4
Sat. 10/13 SOL Worcester SHARKS 3 @ Norfolk Admirals 4
Fri. 10/19 Worcester SHARKS @ Portland Pirates – 7:00pm (game in Lewiston, ME)
Sat. 10/20 Albany Devils @ Worcester SHARKS – 7:00pm
Rewind the Tape:
10.12.12 – Worcester 2 – Norfolk 4 – L – Norfolk Scope Arena
Rookie Sebastian Stalberg scored twice for the Sharks in the second period, but it wasn’t enough as the Sharks fell 4-2 to the defending Calder Cup champion Norfolk Admirals at the Norfolk Scope Arena on in the regular season opener on Friday night. Alex Stalock made 21 saves in goal in the loss and James Sheppard added two assists as Worcester dropped to 4-2-0-1 in seven career season openers (all on the road).
10.13.12 – Worcester 3 –Norfolk 4 – SOL – Norfolk Scope Arena
The Sharks outshot the Admirals 45-29 but Worcester fell 4-3 in the shootout to the defending Calder Cup champion Norfolk Admirals at the Norfolk Scope Arena on Saturday night. Harri Sateri made 25 saves in goal in the shootout loss and James Sheppard scored his first career AHL goal for Worcester. Yanni Gourde grabbed his first goal of the season, Matt Tennyson tied the score late in the third period, and Matt Irwin added two assists in the loss.
Sharks in the Atlantic: The Sharks are swimming in 3rd place with one point (0-1-0-1) in the Atlantic Division through two games, which is three points behind the first place Manchester Monarchs (4pts in 2gp), one point behind the 2nd place St. John’s IceCaps (2pts in 2gp), and one point ahead of the 4th place Portland Pirates (0pts in 1gp) and the 5th place Providence Bruins (0pts in 2gp) to round out a very choppy Atlantic Division.
Captains for the 2012-13 season: John McCarthy was named the Sharks fifth captain in team history on October 11, 2012. Alternate captains for this season: Home: Danny Groulx and Bracken Kearns. Away: Matt Pelech and Tim Kennedy.
Season by the Numbers:
Record: 0-1-0-1, 1 point – 3rd in Atlantic
Win percentage: .250% - 20th in AHL
Home Record: 0-0-0-0
Away Record: 0-1-0-1
Goals Scored: 5, 2.50 goals per game, 17th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 8, 4.00 goals against per game, 24th in AHL
Shots per game: 33.00 –11th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 27.00 – 14th in AHL
1 goal games: 0-0-0-1 in one goal games
PP: 12.5%, 18th in AHL (1-8)
PK: 87.5%, 11th in AHL (1-8)
PIMS – 17.00 penalty minutes per game, 17th in AHL
Fighting Majors: 2– 4th in AHL
OT Games – 1 – (0-0 record in OT)
SO Games – 1 – (0-1 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 21 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
Top Worcester Sharks:
Goals: Stalberg (2)
Assists: Irwin (3)
Points: Sheppard (1-2-3) and Irwin (0-3-3)
Points: several tied at 1
Shots: Tennyson (10 shots)
PIM: Kearns (9)
Fighting Pen.: Kearns and Pelech (1)
Plus/Minus: Tennyson (+4)
G.A.A.: Sateri (2.77)
Save %: Sateri (.893)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com