The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Shark Snap Shot:
The Worcester Sharks (18-15-3-1, 40pts) chomped three out of a possible four points last week (1-0-1-0) after a pair of games in Norfolk, VA vs. the Admirals and current have a five game point streak (4-0-1-0).
The Sharks matched a season high with their 4th straight victory in a 3-2 shootout win in Norfolk on Friday followed by a 1-0 overtime loss to the Admirals at the Norfolk Scope on Saturday.
Dan DaSilva recorded the shootout game winner in the 6th round on Friday in his 200th game as a member of the Worcester Sharks while Yanni Gourde extended his point streak to four games (2-4-6) and added a shootout goal as well on Friday. Lane Scheidl added another goal in his return from injury and Harri Sateri was superb in net for Worcester as he allowed just three goals on 46 shots (.935%) in the two games last week.
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee is goaltender Harri Sateri. The 25-year-old goaltender from Toijala, Finland went 1-1-0 last week in back to back starts in Norfolk while making 43 saves on 46 shots (.935%) and allowed just three goals in the two games. Sateri stopped 5-of-6 shooters in the shootout on Friday and was voted the #3 star in the 1-0 overtime loss on Saturday.
Worcester rides a five game point streak (4-0-1-0) heading into a busy week with four games vs. Atlantic Division foes. (@ Portland, @ Manchester, Providence, and Manchester)MILESTONE ALERT:
Forward Jimmy Bonneau has skated in 297 AHL games and could skate in his 300th AHL game on Saturday vs. the Bruins
Dan DaSilva dressed in his 200th Sharks game on Jan 17 in Norfolk and recorded the shootout game winner in the 6th round of the shootout in Worcester’s 3-2 shootout victory.
Associate coach David Cunniff recorded his 400th win in the 4-3 victory over the Portland Pirates on Jan 12. All 400 victories have occurred as the assistant/associate coach for the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliates.Few things to know….
- The Worcester Sharks are currently in 4th place (18-15-3-1, 40pts) in the Atlantic Division and 11th place overall in the Eastern Conference. – the Sharks trail the 8th and final playoff spot by just four points with two games in hand over the Hershey Bears.
- The San Jose Sharks currently have 14 players on their roster that have spent time in Worcester (Couture, Desjardins, Pavelski, Sheppard, Wingels, Braun, Demers, Stalock, Irwin, Vlasic, Nieto, McCarthy, Kearns, and Hayes).
- The San Jose Sharks are currently in 2nd place in the Pacific Division and 4th place in the Western Conference with 68 points and a 31-12-6 record.
Defenseman Matt Tennyson was loaned back to Worcester on Jan 18 and is expected back in the Worcester Sharks lineup on Tuesday. Tennyson did not appear in any games for San Jose during recall.
Top 3… Last Week!
- Worcester signed goaltender Thomas Heemskerk to a PTO on Jan 16 as Troy Grosenick is out with a lower body injury.
- Forwards Riley Brace and Sebastian Stalberg were loaned to the SF Bull of the ECHL on Jan 7.
- Veteran Bracken Kearns is ranks 3rd in Worcester with 18 points (5-13-18), tops in power play points (3-7-10), and played in his 500th AHL game on Dec 28 vs. the IceCaps. Kearns was recalled by the SJ Sharks on Dec 28 and scored his 1st NHL goal in a 3-1 win over the Ducks on Dec 29. Bracken currently has three goals and an assist in 12 games with the SJ Sharks this season and is currently on recall.
- Despite missing 11 games due to injury, Daniil Tarasov leads Worcester with 22 points (11-11-22) through just 26 games. Tarasov has three game winning goals and also has a shootout game winner.
- 2nd year pro Freddie Hamilton leads the club with 12 goals, 2nd on the team with 21 points (12-9-22), and tops with five 1st goals. Freddie has skated in 11 games with the SJ Sharks this season and is still looking for his 1st NHL point.
- Adam Comrie (2-11-13 in 29gp) and Dylan Demelo (1-12-13 in 30gp) share the team lead among defensemen in points.
- Worcester Sharks alumni Matt Nieto (Oct 8 vs. NYR), Matt Pelech (Oct 10 at VAN), and Bracken Kearns(Dec 29 vs. ANA) each have scored their first career NHL goals for the SJ Sharks this season.
- Worcester Sharks alumni Alex Stalock is an impressive 6-2-0 with the San Jose Sharks this season with a 1.80 GAA and a .938 save %. Stalock picked up his first NHL shutout with a 24 save performance in 3-0 win at Florida on Jan 16.
- Current San Jose Sharks forward and #WorSharks alum Joe Pavelski was named to the US Olympic men’s hockey team.
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 558 wins in his career (16th season) and 2nd in games coached in the AHL with 1229.
Last Week: (1-0-1-0) 3pts, 2gp
- Harri Sateri made 26 saves in the Sharks 1-0 overtime loss in Norfolk on Saturday!
- Dan DaSilva scored in the 6th round of the shootout in his 200th game as a member of the Worcester Sharks in the 3-2SOW in Norfolk on Saturday!
- Lane Scheidl scored at 1:50 of the 1st period to set the tone early in the Sharks 3-2SOW at Norfolk on Friday!
Fri. 1/17 SOW Worcester SHARKS 3 @ Norfolk Admirals 2
Sat. 1/18 OTL Worcester SHARKS 0 @ Norfolk Admirals 1This week:
Tue. 1/21 Worcester SHARKS @ Portland Pirates – 7pm (game in Lewiston, ME)
Fri. 1/24 Worcester SHARKS @ Manchester Monarchs – 7pm
Sat. 1/25 Providence Bruins @ Worcester SHARKS – 7pm
Sun. 1/26 Manchester Monarchs @ Worcester SHARKS – 3pmRewind the Tape:
1.17.14 – Norfolk 2 – Worcester 3 – SOW – Norfolk Scope
The Worcester Sharks (18-15-2-1, 39pts) kicked off their four game road trip with their 4th straight win overall with an exciting 3-2 shootout victory over the Norfolk Admirals (20-13-1-5, 46pts) in front of 5,807 fans at the Norfolk Scope on Friday evening. Lane Scheidl and Sena Acolatse scored for Worcester while Harri Sateri was strong in net as he made 17 saves in his 10th victory of the season. Yanni Gourde extended his point streak to four games (2-4-6) with an assist and also scored in the shootout while Dan DaSilva nabbed the game winner in the shootout in the 6th round as he skated in his 200th game for the Sharks in the victory.1.18.14 – Norfolk 1 – Worcester 0 – OTL – Norfolk Scope
The Worcester Sharks (18-15-3-1, 40pts) extended their point streak to five games (4-0-1-0) after a 1-0 overtime loss to the Norfolk Admirals (21-13-1-5, 48pts) in front of a sellout crowd of 8,701 fans at the Norfolk Scope on Saturday evening. Defenseman Jesse Blacker scored the only goal on the power play in overtime for the Admirals while Harri Sateri was super in goal making 26 saves in the loss for Worcester. Rylan Schwartz scored past netminder John Gibson after the horn sounded to end the third period – but it was one second too late as Gibson held on for a 20 save shutout over the Sharks.Season by the numbers...
Record: 18-15-3-1, 40 points – 4th in Atlantic
Win percentage: .541% – 17th in AHL, 11th in East
Home Record: 9-7-0-1
Away Record: 9-8-3-0
Attendance: 58,353 through 17 games this season – 3,433 average – 24th in AHL
Goals Scored: 88, 2.38 goals per game, 29th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 103, 2.78 goals against per game, 15th in AHL
Shots per game: 32.59 – 5th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 27.65 – 3rd in AHL
Score 1st: 11-2-1-1 when scoring first (.800%)
1 goal games: 10-4-3-1 in one goal games
PP: 15.4%, 24th in AHL (25-162)
PK: 82.9%, 13th in AHL (28-164)
SHG – 4 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 7 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 21.11 penalty minutes per game, 7th in AHL
Fighting Majors: 44 – 8th in AHL
OT Games – 10 – (0-3 record in OT)
SO Games – 7 – (6-1 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 28 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
NHL debuts – 2 Worcester Sharks alumni making their NHL debuts this season
Top Worcester Sharks:
o Goals Hamilton (12)
o Game Winners Tarasov (3)
o Assists Kearns (13)
o Points Tarasov (11-11-22)
o Power play Points Kearns (3-7-10) and Tarasov (5-5-10)
o Shots Livingston (86)
o PIM Gogol (143) – 5th in AHL
o Fighting Pen. Gogol (9)
o Plus/Minus several players (+2)
o Wins Sateri (10)
o G.A.A. Grosenick (2.14) – 4th in AHL
o Save % Grosenick (.919)
o Shutouts Grosenick (1)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com