The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Sharks Snap Shot:
The Worcester Sharks (16-11-1-2, 35pts) chomped four of a possible six points in three games last week. The Sharks dropped a close 2-1 decision in Manchester on Wednesday before returning the favor in a 2-1 win over the Monarchs at the DCU Center on Friday. Worcester closed out the week with an exciting 3-2 victory over the Bruins in front of 6,503 at the DCU Center for the Sharks 12th straight 1-goal game. The Sharks closed out the week 2-1-0-0.
The Worcester Sharks co-players of the week are goaltenders Harri Sateri and Alex Stalock. The two netminders allowed just five goals in three games on 82 shots on goal (.939 save %) to keep the Sharks solid through the week.
See a report on the rest of the Sharks Prospects
Few things to know:
- The Sharks are currently in 2nd place (16-11-1-2, 35pts) in the Atlantic Division and 5th place overall in the Eastern Conference.
- Worcester is 7-3-0-1 in the month of December with one game remaining in December.
- The Sharks welcomed 11,511 fans at the DCU Center last weekend in two games including a sellout crowd of 6,503 vs. the Bruins on Saturday.
- The Sharks have won 9 of their last 12 road games (9-3-0-0).
- The Sharks lead the AHL with 6 wins when trailing after 40 minutes of play this season (6-7-0-1). In addition the Sharks are 5-2-0-1 when tied after 40 minutes of play.
- Worcester has played in 12 straight games decided by a single goal (7-4-0-1).
- Tim Kennedy ranks 16th in the AHL with 28 points (12-16-28).
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 525 wins in his career (15th season) and 3rd in games coached in the AHL with 1146.
- Worcester has played 9 overtime games this season (2nd most in AHL) and leads the AHL with 5 shootout victories.
- Goaltender Alex Stalock picked up his 70th win as a member of the Worcester Sharks on Saturday vs. the Bruins. Stalock trails the franchise win leader Thomas Greiss by just four wins.
- James Sheppard is tied for 1st in the AHL with four goals in the shootout this season (4-for-7).
- The Sharks head to Manchester on Monday night to kick off a four game road trip that will see the Sharks travel to WB/Scranton on Saturday, Hershey on Sunday, and Portland on Jan 8.
Top 3… Last Week
Last Week: (1-0-0-0) 2pts, 1gp
- Jon Matsumoto scores the game winner with 3:55 left in 3rd period and records an assist in the Sharks 2-1 win over the Monarchs on Friday!
- James Sheppard scored a highlight reel goal and added assist in Sharks 3-2 win vs. Manchester on Friday!
- Brandon Mashinter scored the game winner with 3:47 remaining in the 3rd period in the Sharks 3-2 victory over the Bruins on Saturday!
Wed. 12/26 L Worcester SHARKS 1 @ Manchester Monarchs 2
Fri. 12/28 W Manchester Monarchs 1 @ Worcester SHARKS 2
Sat. 12/29 W Providence Bruins 2 @ Worcester SHARKS 3 This week:
Mon. 12/31 Worcester SHARKS @ Manchester Monarchs – 7 p.m.
Sat. 1/5 Worcester SHARKS @ Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins – 7:05 p.m.
Sun. 1/6 Worcester SHARKS @ Hershey Bears – 5 p.m.
Rewind the Tape:12.26.12 – Worcester 1 – Manchester 2 – L – Verizon Wireless Arena
The Worcester Sharks (14-11-1-2, 31pts) had their three game win streak verse the Manchester Monarchs (14-12-2-2, 32pts) come to an end in 2-1 loss on Wednesday evening in front of 4,993 fans at the Verizon Wireless Arena. Alex Stalock was solid between the pipes in the loss with 25 saves in Worcester’s 10th straight one goal game (5-4-0-1). James Livingston (2nd) scored the only goal for Worcester in the loss, as the Monarchs used two second period goals to secure the win. 12.28.12 – Worcester 2 – Manchester 1 – W – DCU Center
The Worcester Sharks (15-11-1-2, 33pts), in their eleventh straight one goal game (6-4-0-1), defeated the Manchester Monarchs (14-13-2-2, 32pts) 2-1 on Friday evening in front of 5,008 fans at the DCU Center. Jon Matsumoto (7th) scored with 3:55 left in regulation on a wrap around for the game winning goal. Matsumoto and James Sheppard (8th) each chipped in with a goal and an assist in the Shark’s 2-1 victory. Harri Sateri was solid in net, stopping 22 of 23 Manchester shots, including 11 in the third period, to secure the win for Worcester.
12.29.12 – Worcester 3 – Providence 2 – W – DCU Center
The Worcester Sharks (16-11-1-2, 35pts), playing in their twelfth straight one goal game (7-4-0-1), defeated the Providence Bruins (16-11-0-2, 34pts) 3-2 on Saturday evening in front of a sellout crowd of 6,503 fans at the DCU Center in a snowy Worcester, Massachusetts. Brandon Mashinter (2nd) beat Providence goaltender Michael Hutchinson on a point blank chance out in front with just 3:37 remaining, giving the Sharks a 3-2 win. Worcester has been no stranger to late-game heroics, as they have scored three late game-winning goals in their past four games. Sebastian Stalberg (6th) and Brodie Reid (5th) also scored for the Sharks in the victory. Alex Stalock was sensational in net, stopping 30 of 32 Providence shots for the win. Stalock is now 4-0-1 against the Bruins this season.Sharks in the Atlantic:
The Sharks (16-11-1-2, 35pts in 30gp) are currently in 2nd place in the Atlantic Division; which is one points behind the 1st place Pirates (36pts in 30gp) and one point ahead the 3rd place Bruins (34pts in 29gp). The Sharks have a three point edge over the 4th place Monarchs (32pts in 32gp) and a four point lead over the 5th place IceCaps (31pts in 33gp) to round out a very choppy Atlantic Division.
Season by the Numbers:
Record: 16-11-1-2, 35 points – 3rd in Atlantic and 5th in Eastern Conference
Win percentage: .583% - 13th in AHL
Home Record: 7-5-1-1
Away Record: 9-6-0-1
Attendance: 54,539 through 14 games (3,896 average)
Goals Scored: 83, 2.77 goals per game, 15th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 87, 2.90 goals against per game, 18th in AHL
Shots per game: 30.60 – 15th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 30.57 – 16th in AHL
Score 1st: 8-5-0-1 when scoring first (.607%)
1 goal games: 11-5-1-2 in one goal games -11 wins 2nd most in AHL
PP: 17.3%, 11th in AHL (26-150)
PK: 81.8%, 21st in AHL (25-137)
SHG – 1 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 3 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 24.00 penalty minutes per game, 3rd in AHL
Fighting Majors: 40 – 3th in AHL
OT Games – 9 – (1-1 record in OT) – Hamilton OTG
SO Games – 7 – (5-2 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 30 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
Top Worcester Sharks:
Goals: Kennedy (12)
Game Winners: Groulx, Hamilton, Matsumoto (2)
Assists: Kennedy (16)
Points: Kennedy (12-16-28)
Power Play Points: Kennedy (4-9-13)
Shots: Irwin (75 shots)
PIM: Pelech (121)
Fighting Pen.: Pelech (7)
Plus/Minus: Reid (+4)
Wins: Stalock (11)
G.A.A.: Stalock (2.59)
Save %: Stalock (.912)
Shutouts: Stalock (1)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com