SAN JOSE, CA - The San Jose Sharks (@SanJoseSharks) and the National Hockey League (@NHL) announced the NHL Centennial Fan Arena is coming to San Jose, January 19. An interactive traveling fan experience that will visit all NHL markets across North America in 2017, the NHL Centennial Fan Arena is part of the NHL's Centennial festivities honoring a century's worth of extraordinary players, teams, remarkable plays, and unforgettable moments.
The NHL Centennial Fan Arena is free of charge and open to fans of all ages. It will be located on Autumn Street between Santa Clara Street and St. John and immediately adjacent to SAP Center.
The NHL Centennial Fan Arena includes:
- MUSEUM TRUCK - The main attraction is a 53-foot museum truck with an innovative interior featuring more than 1,000 square feet of interactive digital displays featuring the San Jose Sharks, original video content, historical memorabilia, and unique photo moments including great moments in Sharks history.
- ENTERTAINMENT TRUCK - A second 53-foot trailer will host a giant video screen featuring team trivia and team highlights, as well as a pop-out stage for special appearances.
- CLEAR THE ICE ZAMBONI® VR EXPERIENCE - This never-before-seen VR experience allows fans from across North America to compete against each other in a race to resurface the ice. Fans will take a seat in a mini-Zamboni® ice resurfacer, feel cool air on their skin and their seat rumble, as they are tasked with creating the perfect sheet of ice - in virtual reality. All races will be timed and shared on a leaderboard.
- STANLEY CUP® - The oldest and most revered trophy in all professional sports will make a special appearance.
- RECYCLE THE GAME - bring your old gear to help others! All donations of gear will support under-served community hockey programs. Accepted items include helmets, shoulder pads, elbow pads, hockey pants, shin pads, gloves, skates, sticks, goalie pads and goalie blockers/gloves. Look for the hockey net drop-box on Autumn Street.
Join Sharks broadcasters, ice team, SJ Sharkie, Tank Patrol and more with special trivia and prizes from the main stage. The Sharks will also acknowledge the Special Olympics Northern California Santa Clara County Floor Hockey Program. The NHL will be providing a $5,000 Diversity and Inclusion Grant with the Sharks Foundation matching that donation.
For more information and the most up-to-date schedule of events, please visit nhl.com/fanarena.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
Thursday, Jan. 19:
4 p.m. - 7 p.m. - Museum Truck, Clear the Ice Zamboni® VR Experience, Stanley Cup®,
ABOUT THE NHL CENTENNIAL:
The NHL's Centennial celebration, honoring 100 years of NHL hockey, officially commenced on January 1, 2017 with the Scotiabank NHL Centennial Classic™ outdoor game. Throughout the year, the Centennial celebration will include a variety of important content initiatives, ceremonies, recognitions, observances and special events. For more information, visit NHL.com/100, the central hub of all NHL Centennial news, content, videos, images, and NHL Centennial Fan Arena and NHL Centennial events.