21-year-old Logan Couture is enjoying his official rookie season this year after playing in the Sharks final 14 regular season games last spring. The former first round selection went on to make his Stanley Cup Playoff debut, scoring four goals in San Jose’s run to the Western Conference Finals.
In this week’s installment of “Ask the Sharks,” Logan answers how he deals with the pressures of being a rookie in the NHL and offers his side of the story, after being accused of ditching out on teammate Jamie McGinn and a Raiders game.
Couture reveals these answers and everything else you wanted to know in this week’s “Ask the Sharks.”
1. Your whole career, until now, you have played with players very close to you in age. What adjustments did you have to make now that you play with players 10-15 years older than you, both on and off the ice? – Jonathan There’s really not that much of a difference. Most of these guys are still young at heart. When they get in the locker room they still act like they’re 18 or 19. There’s obviously guys who are on this team, who’ve been around for a long time and they know what to expect, day-in-day-out. That’s a good thing. But, they can, from time to time, act like they’re my age.
2. You’re relatively new to the team, were there any rookie rituals that you had to go through? –Norma No, rookies just do their normal things; pick up pucks, stuff like that. Nothing crazy.
3. Logan, nhl.com posted an article predicting you would be one of the top seven rookies who will make an impact this year. Does that add any pressure on you? – Roman No, I don’t think it adds any pressure. I have my own expectations going into the year. I don’t really listen to what other people say. I just go by what I expect of myself.
4. What’s your road teammate’s worst habit? – Lauren I’m not sure. I room with [Jamie] McGinn and he doesn’t really have any bad habits. We have a pretty good room. No complaints about that.
5. Who is the smelliest player in the locker room after a game? – Mak That would be [Joe] Pavelski or Frazer McLaren.
6. How does your game change when you are on the first line with Heatley and Marleau, as opposed to when you are on another line? – Chris I don’t try to change my game at all. I just try to by myself out on the ice, my own player.
7. What is the most dangerous thing you have ever done? –Kristen I’m scared of heights, so nothing crazy. When I was young I went to Disney World and went on a bunch of amusement rides and that scared me for the rest of my life.
8. Jamie McGinn blogged about you ditching him before the Raiders game. Did you? What’s your side of the story? – Emily I wouldn’t call it ditching. It was raining. I didn’t really want to stand in the rain all day. I’m not a big Raiders fan. If they were playing the Bills, then I would have gone.
9. Pirates or Ninjas? – Regina Pirates
10. Hi Logan, just wondering, why did you unfollow me on Twitter? I was @iBleedTeal44. – I have no idea.
11. Do you have a nickname in the locker room? Have you considered “Juicy”? – Alex Not really, Razor and Mike Aldrich call me that. Just them though.