Buffalo's 5-game winning streak comes to an end with 5-3 loss to Penguins as Crosby collects 4 points.FROM THE LOCKER ROOM
“You can't be thinking about the past, you can't be thinking about the negativity and frustration because it's only bring you down. If we're going into tomorrow night's game thinking about the opportunities that we missed tonight, they're going to run right over us … This time of year, we know how we need to play. We know what it takes to get ready. Bottom line is we're not in November or October where we can lot. Right now, it's we lost, it was a tough one, it was a frustrating one, but at the same time, for the amount of back-to-backs we've had this year, that's really been a test for us as well is learning how to put that one behind us win or lose and get ready for the next one so it's the same case for tonight.”
– Drew Stafford“We had our opportunities even late in this game. We had two point-blank opportunities. If Van get his rebound opportunity up, we've got a tie game. And Staff's alone, where the puck goes off the end of his stick, we've been able to capitalize on a lot of those great opportunities. We didn't capitalize on a lot of good ones and when you don't, you keep yourself in a tight game.”
– Lindy Ruff“We’ve gotta be a little more disciplined too. I know the fans didn’t like them, but they were all penalties. They put us in a tough spot.”
– Ryan Miller“We had our share of bounces and opportunities, and couldn’t put them behind Johnson. Now we put this one behind us and get ready for tomorrow. It’s another big two points as they all are right now, and we need them.”
– Jordan Leopold
“Our line, maybe not our best game obviously, but I think we just have to learn from this one and realize how hard we have to work and get to the net and be in front of the net and work down low because that's when we're dangerous as a line. We're looking forward as a line to getting even tomorrow.”
– Marcus FolignoBY THE NUMBERS
- Buffalo’s first regulation loss since March 8 at BOS
- The Sabres see their winning streak end at five games; miss the chance to win six in a row for first time since Dec. 29/09-Jan. 8/10
- Buffalo is now 14-3-4 since February 17 – best record in the league during this stretch
- Sabres lose first home game in regulation since Feb. 14 vs. NJ; drop to 7-1-2 in last 10 home games
- Buffalo’s first loss when scoring three or more goals in regulation since Dec. 17 @ PITT
- Jordan Leopold
’s first period goal was his first since Jan. 24 at NJ – a span of 29 games
- Jason Pominville
has collected at least one point in 31 of Buffalo’s 40 home games.
- Tyler Ennis
now has 23 points (9+14) in his last 22 games.
- Thomas Vanek
extends his point streak to three games (3+1); also has seven points in last six games
- Vanek also has goals in three straight games for the first time since Feb. 5-10, 2011.
- James Neal’s goal in the second period was the first PPG that Buffalo has allowed since March 17 at FLA. They had killed off the previous 12 penalties.
- The two-game point streaks of Cody Hodgson
, Corey Tropp
and Tyler Myers
all came to an end tonight.Sabres Real-Time Stats Leaders
*Time on Ice- Jordan Leopold
*Shots- Leopold/Drew Stafford
*Hits- Marcus Foligno
*Faceoffs- Cody Hodgson
, 14/23GAME SUMMARYFIRST PERIOD
1-0 PITT: Malkin drives the nut and scores on the rebound, after a great play by Sullivan to get the puck into the Buffalo zone. (3:50, PP)… 1-1: Johnson stops Pominville's shot, but Leopold is there to jam home the rebound. (6:35)… 2-1 PITT: Crosby is parked just to the right of the Buffalo net, and finds room between Miller's pads with a spinning one timer (12:52)… 2-2: Ennis fires a harmless shot along the ice from the right boards that Johnson completely misplays into a goal. (15:45) … Shots: PITT-11, BUF-11 SECOND PERIOD
3-2 PITT: Neal with the quick wrister past Miller on a nice cross ice feed from Crosby (11:43, PP)… 4-2 PITT: Sullivan floats a backhander over Miller after the puck pinballs through the slot. (15:06)… 4-3: Vanek grabs a crazy bounce off the faceoff and goes backhand-forehand in tight on Johnson with the deke. (16:59)… Shots: PITT-12, BUF-9THIRD PERIOD
5-3 PITT: Staal caps off the scoring with his 25th of the season into an empty net (19:54)… Shots: PITT-11, BUF-9UP NEXT
Saturday, 7 p.m. vs. Toronto Maple Leafs
Air Canada Centre | Toronto, Ont.