BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - Nathan Gerbe scored 4:09 into the third period to break a tie, and the Buffalo Sabres beat the Carolina Hurricanes 3-1 in the preseason opener for both teams.
Gerbe, who added two assists, scored on a tip-in from the slot, where he converted a lead pass from Paul Gaustad. Gaustad scored in the opening minute of the third period to tie it. He put in a one-timer after Patrick Kaleta fed him from behind the net. Kaleta, who also had a goal and two assists, added an empty-net goal.
Brandon Sutter scored 23 seconds into the second period, giving Carolina a 1-0 lead on a backhander from the slot. Brian Boucher stopped all 14 shots he faced in two periods. Justin Peters played the third and allowed both Buffalo goals. ...more.
Jhonas Enroth came in at the 9:03 mark of the second period, and was tested by Carolina with eight shots in the final 10:57. His best save of the night came late in the period as the Hurricanes buzzed the Sabres zone. Enroth was caught out of position as the puck was sent through the slot to defenseman Jamie McBain who was staring at a yawning cage. But Enroth was somehow able to recover and slid through the crease to deny McBain’s scoring chance along with ensuing rebound.
Patrick Kaleta: The pride of Angola, NY, was a buzzsaw all night long, and showed a rare offensive outburst with a goal and two assists. With the Sabres down 1-0 early in the third, Kaleta outhustled Ryan Murphy on the dump in, then scooped up the puck and went tape-to-tape with Paul Gaustad to get the Sabres on the board. On Nathan Gerbe’s goal that gave the Sabres a 2-1 lead, Kaleta picked up the second assist when he made a nifty drop pass to Gaustad who set up Gerbe with the deft cross-ice feed. Kaleta capped off his night with an empty net goal with just one second left in the game.
- Paul Gaustad talks about the competition for jobs in camp: “We have a great attitude in here about the team, but it comes down to competing and that’s a good thing. So if they’re going to push me, I’m going to push them back.”
Whether it’s working with them on the PK, or just as a line, as a group, we want to know where each other are on the ice … basically become brothers. - Patrick Kaleta discussing the chemistry with his linemates Gerbe and Gaustad
- Buffalo now has a 4-4-1 record in nine preseason meetings against the Hurricanes/Whalers franchise.
- The Sabres are now 135-146-48 all-time in the preseason, and 22-10-2 since the start of 2005-06.
- This was the first preseason game between these two teams since September 27, 1997.
- Gaustad was designated as Buffalo’s captain tonight.
- Drew MacIntyre started in goal for the Sabres, and played 29:03. He was 24-11-3 for Hamilton/Chicago last season in AHL. His last NHL regular season action was 33:48 of action vs. Dallas on January 29, 2008.
Buffalo continues their busy week when they travel to Montreal on Wednesday to face the Canadiens at the Bell Centre. Game time is 7:30 p.m. This will also be the second preseason game for Montreal, as they begin a run of six games in seven nights against Dallas on Tuesday.