* Is it me, or have things calmed down a bit in the second round? I haven’t watched every minute of every game, but I haven’t witnessed the nastiness that dominated talk in the first round.
* I want to care about the World Championship, but it’s not the same as the old World Cup that used to take place with the game’s best battling for world supremacy before training camps began. The Olympics took that event away, and as long as the NHL participates in the Olympics, I don’t see the World Cup coming back.
* New Montreal GM Marc Bergevin returned Randy Cunneyworth to the position of assistant coach, after he took the arrows as interim head coach of a bad team. Bergevin said that the new head coach will decide whether or not Cunneyworth remains on board. I expect that answer to be yes, given how Cunneyworth handled the bad situation with dignity and the fact he’s a good coach.
* Speaking of good, I thought Bob Cole was, during the CBC broadcast of Devils and Flyers in Game 3 on Thursday night. The broadcast booth in New Jersey might be the highest in the league, but Cole was on the play and identified everyone correctly. So why is that impressive, given that it was Bob Cole? He was born in 1933, so do the math. It’s also nice to hear former Sabres defenseman Garry Galley doing great work alongside Cole.
* I have most of your suggestion in for Pancakes of Buffalo. I’ve already hit the first spot. Reviews and the rankings will be out in a month or so, because I can only eat pancakes once a week!
* Quote of the week comes from daughter when she entered the room and saw me watching hockey: “That’s boring. The Sabres aren’t playing.”