The Buffalo Sabres are back from the holiday break and will play the Boston Bruins tonight.
The GMC Game Night pregame show begins at 6:30 p.m. on MSG. Faceoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. on MSG and WGR 550.
Here's what you need to know.
From @SabresPR's Game Notes…
- This is the second of four meetings between the Sabres and Bruins this season.
- Last meeting: Boston defeated Buffalo 3-2 in Boston on Nov. 21
- Next meeting: Sunday, Dec. 29 in Boston
- The Sabres are 4-5-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Bruins; 1-6-3 at home.
- The road team has won six of the nine games between these teams in the last two seasons.
- The Sabres have won each of their last five home games and are seeking their first six-game home winning streak of the season. They have outscored their opponents 25-12 at home during the five-game streak.
- Buffalo's plus-19 goal differential at home is tied for third-best in the NHL.
- The Sabres are 11-3-3 (.735) through their first 17 home games of the season, putting the team on pace for its sixth-best home record in a season and its best since 1979-80.
- Jeff Skinner is expected to appear in his 700th NHL game tonight.
- Linus Ullmark has stopped 98 of 105 shots (.933) in his three career games against the Bruins.
- Ullmark has posted a 7-3-2 record in his last 12 appearances.
- He has won each of his last five games at KeyBank Center, posting a .929 save percentage and a 2.40 goals-against average in those games.
- Jack Eichel has recorded five points (2+3) in his last three games against Boston.
- Eichel's 31 points (17+14) in 17 home games this season tie for third-most home points in the league. He has recorded at least a point in each of Buffalo's last eight home games, totaling 17 points (11+6) and a plus-10 rating at KeyBank Center during that stretch.
- His 16 points since the beginning of December rank him third among all NHL players and his eight goals during that span are tied for second-most in the league.
- Victor Olofsson has recorded 24 points (10+14) in his last 23 games, including two-point performances in five of the team's last 11 games.
- He has failed to record a point in just four of those 23 games and leads all NHL rookies in goals (16) and points (34) this season.
- Sam Reinhart has totaled 10 points (3+7) in Buffalo's last 10 games, including four multi-point games during that stretch.
World Juniors recap
Dylan Cozens skated 13:58 and recorded two shots on goal in Team Canada's 6-4 win over the U.S. Team USA captain Mattias Samuelsson skated 17:55 with a shot on goal.
Matej Pekar recorded one shot and two penalty minutes in 13:01 of ice time in the Czech Republic's 4-3 win over Russia.
Erik Portillo served as the third goaltender in Sweden's 3-2 overtime win over Finland.
Today in Sabres history
1991: Dave Andreychuk and Pat LaFontaine each score twice, and Clint Malarchuk makes 38 saves, in an 8-1 victory over the Boston Bruins at The Aud.