|Felix Schutz (Photo: Heather Harvey) |
The Pirates played three road games last week posting 2-0-1-0 record and extending their point streak to nine games (6-0-3-0) and their road point streak to five games (3-0-2-0).
The weekend action began on Friday in Hartford when Felix Schutz added his second goal in as many games, followed by scores from Tyler Ennis
and Nathan Gerbe
in a 6:45 span.
The stretch effectively reversed a 2-0 disadvantage into a 3-2 lead.
However, the Wolf Pack retaliated, tying the score with 12.5 seconds remaining in regulation and later sealing the victory 1:12 into overtime to escape with a 4-3 victory.
Saturday the Pirates rebounded as Jeff Cowan, Matt Caruana, Brad Larsen and Cody McCormick
all scored on the way to 4-1 win over the Lowell Devils. Ennis added a pair of assists in the game. Caruana and Larsen both scored their first goals as a member of the Pirates.
Portland completed the weekend in Springfield Sunday afternoon as Schutz enjoyed his first career two-goal game in leading Portland to a 3-2 win.
Paul Byron also scored in the game and Jhonas Enroth
, in his second consecutive start after serving as the back-up for the previous five games, made 17 third-period saves to preserve the victory and help the Pirates extend their current streak.
|The 2010 AHL All-Star Classic Fan Balloting presented by Reebok will begin Tuesday, Dec. 1, at noon EST. VOTE NOW |
Wednesday the Pirates complete a four-game road trip when they face the Manchester Monarchs (15-6-1-2) at the Verizon Wireless Arena at 7 PM.
Friday the Pirates travel to Lewiston to face the Bruins (11-11-1-0) at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee at 7 PM before the two teams meet one another again Saturday at the CCCC at 7 PM.
The Pirates complete the week Sunday afternoon in Worcester against the Sharks (13-10-0-1) in another installment of the Unum Challenge. Wednesday, December 2, 2009 @ Manchester Monarchs (Verizon Wireless Arena), 7 PM
• Manchester leads the Atlantic Division with 33 points
• The Monarchs are on a three-game winning streak and have collected points in seven of their last 10 games (6-3-0-1)
• The Monarchs have been exceptional on home ice with a 9-1-0-1 record
• Jonathan Bernier sports the third best goals against average in the AHL at 1.75
• The game marks the second of 10 between the two teams. Monarchs won the first meeting (October 17th @ Manchester) by a 4-0 count Friday, December 5, 2009 vs. Providence Bruins (Androscoggin Bank Colisee), 7 PM
• Providence sits last in the Atlantic Division heading into this week’s games
• Andy Wozniewski is tied for the League lead among defensemen with 22 points in 23 games. His six goals are tied for the second most among blue liners
• Third of eight meetings between the two teams, who split the first two games. Bruins won the last game by a 7-2 margin on home ice on October 18th Saturday, December 6, 2009 vs. Providence Bruins (Cumberland County Civic Center), 7 PM Sunday, December 7, 2009 @ Worcester Sharks (DCU Center), 3:05 PM
• Unum Challenge continues with the Pirates holding a 2-0 advantage in the eight-game series
• Sharks have won five straight heading into this week’s action
• Defenseman Danny Groulx leads the Sharks in scoring with 19 points in 24 games
• Logan Couture is among the top rookie scorers in the league with 17 points in only 12 games