The Pirates collected three of a possible six points in play last week, beginning a three-game set with a 4-0 victory over the Manchester Monarchs on Friday at the Cumberland County Civic Center.
Saturday Portland dropped a 6-2 decision to the Binghamton Senators at the CCCC before completing the week on the losing end of a 5-4 shootout game against the Springfield Falcons on Sunday at the CCCC. The Pirates finished the week in second place in the Atlantic Division with a 36-22-5-4 record.
Brad Larsen and Tyler Ennis
each scored a goal and an assist and Jhonas Enroth
turned aside all 29 shots he faced as the Pirates beat the Manchester Monarchs 4-0 Friday night. Jeff Cowan and Paul Byron also scored for the Pirates, who ended a three game losing streak with the win. The victory moved Portland four points ahead of the Monarchs in the race for second in the Atlantic Division.
Craig Schira and Zack Smith each scored a goal and an assist to lead the Binghamton Senators to a 6-2 win over the Pirates Saturday night at the Cumberland County Civic Center. Nathan Gerbe
and Travis Turnbull replied for the Pirates. The loss was also costly in the fact that Enroth was injured early in the game and did not return.
Sunday against Springfield, Chad Wiseman scored the lone shootout goal and Jean-Philippe Levasseur turned aside all five shots he faced as the Falcons rallied from a two-goal third period deficit to beat the Pirates 5-4 in a shootout. Derek Whitmore, Cowan, Byron and Philip Gogulla scored for the Pirates while Kyle Rank and Mike Kostka (who extended his assists streak to five games) each collected two assists. Portland dropped to 36-22-5-4 with the loss.Tuesday, March 16, 2010 vs. Lowell (CCCC), 7 p.m.
* Lowell heads into this week’s action with a 34-25-4-4 record and sits four points behind Portland for second place in the Atlantic Division.
* Former Pirates goalie Mike McKenna is ranked tied for fifth in the AHL with a 2.32 goals against average. His .926 save percentage is tied for third best among all AHL goalies.
* Defenseman Matt Taormina is seventh among rookie scorers with 41 points in 62 games.
* Ben Walter’s 20 goals is tops on the team.
* Portland leads the 10-game season series with a record of 4-3-0-0 with three of the games decided in the Pirates favor in either overtime or a shootout.Friday, March 19, 2010 @ Manchester (Verizon Wireless Arena), 7:30 p.m.
* Manchester heads into this week’s games sporting a 34-24-3-5 record and tied with Lowell for third in the Atlantic.
* The Monarchs are winless in their last three games (0-2-1-0).
* Jonathan Bernier is at the top of almost every goaltending statistic in the League. His eight shutouts and .937 save percentage lead the League while his 2.08 goals against average ranks third.
* The Pirates are 5-1-1-0 against the Monarchs this season including a 4-0 win in their last meeting on March 12th in Portland.Saturday, March 20, 2010 @ Lowell Devils (Tsongas Arena), 7 p.m.Sunday, March 21, 2010 vs. Manchester @ Lewiston, 4 p.m.Recent Pirates Transaction:
3/13/10 Mark Mancari, loaned to Portland by Buffalo (NHL)
3/14/10 Todd Ford, signed to PTO