The Pirates extended their season-long winning streak to six games with three wins last week. The week began with a 6-1 victory over the Manchester Monarchs to close out a five-game home stand and finished with road wins in Providence (3-0 on Friday) and Lowell (4-3 in a shootout on Saturday).
The victories allowed the Pirates to move to within three points of the Devils for third in the Atlantic Division with a 27-16-5-2 record.
Last week’s action began with Portland’s first ever morning start as the Pirates and Manchester Monarchs met in an 11 a.m. start at the CCCC. Mark Mancari powered the offense with four assists in a convincing 6-1 win. Jeff Cowan and Tyler Ennis
each scored twice in the victory while singles went to Brad Larsen and T.J. Brennan.
The Pirates continued their winning ways on Friday in the first of two straight road games. Jhonas Enroth
made 38 saves in recording his fourth shutout of the season as Portland blanked the Providence Bruins 3-0 at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center. Felix Schutz and Ennis each registered a goal and an assist in the win while Derek Whitmore rounded out the scoring.
Portland completed the week with a perfect 3-0 record by shading the Lowell Devils 4-3 in a shootout on Saturday at the Tsongas Arena. J.P. Lamoureux, in his first start since January 10th, stopped all four Devils attempts in the shootout to post the victory.
Marc-Andre Gragnani and Ennis were successful for the Pirates in the shootout as Portland posted a sixth straight victory and moved to with three points of the Devils for third in the Atlantic Division. Kyle Rank, Mancari and Kyle Wanvig scored in regulation for the Pirates. Travis Turnbull collected two assists.
This Week:Friday, February 12, 2010 vs. Syracuse (CCCC), 7 p.m.
* This will be the first of two meeting between the Pirates and the Crunch this season.
* Heading into this week’s games, Syracuse (22-23-3-3) stood tied with Adirondack for fourth in the East Division. Both teams have 50 points.
* Derek MacKenzie leads the Crunch in scoring with 13 goals and 21 assists for 34 points in 34 games. Heading into this week’s action the veteran forward was in the midst of an 11-game point scoring streak in which he has registered eight goals and nine assists.
* The Crunch are 10-15-2-2 on the road this season.Saturday, February 13, 2010 vs. Adirondack Phantoms (CCCC), 7 p.m.
* The Phantoms are 23-23-2-2 on the season.
* The game will mark the second and final regular season meeting between the two teams. The Pirates shaded Adirondack 2-1 back on January 9th.
* 2010 All-Star Jon Matsumoto leads the team in scoring with 19 goals and 22 assists for 41 points in 50 games.
* The Phantoms are 11-14-0-2 on the road this season.Recent Pirates Transaction:
2/5/10 Matt Caruana, Signed PTO