|Patrick Lalime (Heather Harvey) |
The Pirates went 1-1-0-2 in four games last week, collecting four of a possible eight points in the standings. The lone victory was a shutout win over the Manchester Monarchs on Wednesday. The Pirates also suffered shootout losses to Providence and Worcester.
made 39 saves in a starring performance as the Portland Pirates blanked the Manchester Monarchs 2-0 in front of 3,013 at the Verizon Wireless Arena on Wednesday night. Matt Caruana and Felix Schutz, supplied the offense for the Pirates but it was Enroth’s shutout performance that propelled the Pirates to victory.
Friday the Pirates lost to the Providence Bruins in a shootout at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee in Lewiston. Johnny Boychuk and Trent Whitfield scored for the Bruins during regulation but it was Brad Marchand’s shootout winner in the fifth round to lift the Bruins to a 3-2 win.
Zach Hamill and Jamie Arniel also scored in the penalty shot round for Providence; Paul Byron paced the Pirates with two goals while Kyle Wanvig collected two assists. Nathan Gerbe
and Byron also scored in the shootout.
Patrick Lalime, with the Pirates on a two-game conditioning assignment from the Buffalo Sabres, took the loss despite a 42-save effort.
The Pirates completed the home-and-home series on Saturday, hosting the Bruins at the CCCC. Marchand scored the game winner on a power-play midway through the third period as Providence shaded the Pirates 4-3.
Whitfield added a pair of goals for the Bruins while Jordan Knackstedt rounded out the Providence scoring. Cody McCormick
, Derek Whitmore and Wanvig struck for the Pirates, who saw their 11-game point streak (7-0-3-1) come to an end with the loss.
The Pirates outshot the Bruins 29-26 in the game as Lalime took the loss in his second and final conditioning appearance with Portland.
Sunday, the Pirates traveled to Worcester to face the Sharks only to suffer another shootout loss in the third installment of the UNUM Challenge.
Dan DaSilva recorded a goal and an assist in regulation to lead the Sharks to the 3-2 win while Andrew Desjardins rounded out the Worcester scoring. Benn Ferriero, Ryan Vesce and Steven Zalewski all scored in the shootout for the Sharks. Mark Mancari netted both Pirates goals in regulation. Enroth took the loss after being reassigned to the Pirates earlier in the day.
The Pirates earned a point with the shoot out loss and are now 12-11-3-2 on the season. This Week: Friday, December 11, 2009 @ Hartford Wolf Pack (XL Center), 7 PM
• Hartford is without a regulation win in their last five games and has lost three straight by a combined 20-4 score
• Wolf Pack forward Corey Locke ranks first in AHL scoring with 35 points in 27 games
• Heading into this week’s action Harford is 13-11-1-2 including an impressive 8-1-1-1 record on home ice
• The game will be the third of six between the two teams this season. Hartford captured the last meeting with a 4-3 overtime victory on November 27th at the XL Center Saturday, December 12, 2009 @ Springfield Falcons (MassMutual Center), 7 PM
• Springfield sits last in the Atlantic Division with a 10-11-4-2 record
• Forward Charles Linglet is ranked third among the AHL scorers with 28 points in 27 games
• The game will be the fourth of eight between the two teams this season. The Falcons won the first two meetings but the Pirates prevailed in the last, posting a 3-2 road victory on November 29thRecent Transactions:
12/06/2009 Jhonas Enroth
(G) ADD Returned on loan from Buffalo (NHL)
12/06/2009 Patrick Lalime (G) DEL Recalled from loan by Buffalo (NHL)
12/03/2009 Jhonas Enroth
(G) DEL Recalled from loan by Buffalo (NHL)
12/03/2009 Patrick Lalime (G) ADD Conditioning loan from Buffalo (NHL)