The Pirates went 2-0 in their two road games last week. The victories came with a 5-2 win over the Hartford Wolf pack Friday night and a 7-1 win over the Springfield Falcons Saturday night. The two wins extended the Pirates road point streak to nine games (6-0-2-1) and upped their overall record to 14-11-3-2.
This week the Pirates will play three games in five days, starting Tuesday when Portland travels to Bridgeport to face the Sound Tigers to close out a four-game road trip. The Pirates complete the week with home games against the Springfield Falcons on Friday followed by a rematch against the Sound Tigers on Saturday.
Last week’s play began Friday in Hartford where Cody McCormick
scored two goals and added an assist to help lead the Portland Pirates to a 5-2 win over the Hartford Wolf Pack at the XL Center. Tyler Ennis
, Philip Gogulla and Brad Larsen also scored for the Pirates while Kyle Wanvig and Marc-Andre Gragnani collected two assists each. The Pirates ended a three-game winless streak with the victory. Portland out shot the Wolf Pack 29-18 in the game as Jhonas Enroth
posted the victory.
Saturday the Pirates traveled to Springfield where they posted a 7-1 victory over the Falcons. The seven goals represented the Pirates largest offensive output of the season and the six-goal margin of victory was the biggest this year.
Kyle Rank scored his first career hat trick and added an assist to pace the Pirates while Derek Whitmore added a pair of goals. Wanvig and Jeff Cowan rounded out the goal scoring and Mike Kostka supplied two assists. The Pirates played the game without Mark Mancari, who was recalled by the Buffalo Sabres earlier in the day.
Springfield out shot the Pirates 32-26 in the game as Enroth posted the victory. Pirates Notes:
* The Pirates current nine-game road point streak (6-0-2-1) is the longest by the team since running off a 10-game streak from January 29, 2006 to March 22, 2006. During the streak of success the Pirates posted a 9-0-1-0 record. The franchise record for consecutive road games without a regulation loss is 11 games (8-0-3) established back in 1994-95.
* Thanks to their current streak of success, the Pirates are now 7-8-2-1 on the road after starting the season 1-8-1-0 away from Portland.
* Kyle Rank registered his first career hat trick and four-point game December 12 at Springfield.
* Derek Whitmore registered his first career two-goal game December 12 at Springfield. This Week: Friday, December 15, 2009 @ Bridgeport Sound Tigers (Arena at Harbor Yard), 7 PM
* Bridgeport and Portland are tied for second (along with Lowell) in the Atlantic Division. All three teams have 33 points
* Goalie Nathan Lawson ranks tied for eighth in the AHL save percentage with a 92.5 percentage
* This will be the third of eight meetings between the two teams. Bridgeport was won both with the last meeting resulting in a 5-4 Sound Tigers overtime victory in Bridgeport on November 15th Friday, December 18, 2009 vs. Springfield Falcons (CCCC), 7 PM
* Springfield sits last in the Atlantic Division with a 10-13-4-2 record
* Forward Charles Linglet is ranked fourth among the AHL scorers with 31 points in 29 games
* The game will be the fifth of eight between the two teams this season. The Pirates trampled the Falcons in their last meeting on December 12th, with a 7-1 victory Saturday, December 19, 2009 vs. Bridgeport Sound Tigers (CCCC), 7 PM Recent Transactions:
12/13/2009 Mark Mancari (RW) Returned on loan from Buffalo (NHL)
12/12/2009 Mark Mancari (RW) Recalled from loan by Buffalo (NHL)
12/09/2009 Nathan Gerbe
(LW) Recalled from loan by Buffalo (NHL)