Week of 3/2/09
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- Pirates goalie Kellen Briggs earned his first AHL win on Friday night in the Pirates 2-1 win in Worcester against the Sharks.
- Pirates forward Tim Kennedy recorded a goal and an assist in the Pirates 2-1 win over Worcester on Friday.
- Pirates defenseman Mike Kostka registered an assist in the Pirates 6-1 win over Lowell on Sunday. Kostka has 8 assists in his last 9 games.
- On Saturday night, Pirates goalie Jeff Jakaitis made his Pirates debut with 31 saves in the Pirates 4-3 shootout loss to the Hartford Wolf Pack.
- Pirates head coach Kevin Dineen needs just three more victories to pass Barry Trotz for the most victories in franchise history. Dineen has already passed Trotz for the most regular season wins, when he captured win number 159 against Bridgeport on January 24th.
- Only four Pirates players have played in all 62 games this season (Zagrapan, Darche, Fretter and Kostka)
- The Pirates are 9-1-0- when leading after the first period.
- The Pirates are 24-3-0-2 when leading after the second period.
- The Pirates have earned a point in 6 of their last 8 games.
- Mark Mancari ranks 13th among AHL scoring leaders with 54 points (23 goals, 31 assists).
- Mathieu Darche ranks 2nd among AHL leaders in game-winning goals with 7.
- Tim Kennedy ranks 1st among AHL rookies in scoring with 50 points (14 goals, 36 assists).
- Nathan Gerbe ranks 4th among AHL rookies in scoring with 42 points (22 goals, 20 assists).
- Nathan Gerbe ranks 1st among AHL rookies in goal scoring with 22 goals.
- Tim Kennedy ranks 1st among AHL rookie assists leaders with 36 assists.
- Marc-Andre Gragnani ranks 4th among AHL defensemen in scoring with 39 points (6 goals, 33 assists).
Tuesday, March 10th - Pirates vs. Binghamton 7:00 p.m.
Friday, March 14th - Pirates vs. Lowell 7:00 p.m.
Friday, March 20th - Pirates vs. Hartford 7:00 p.m. PIRATES PLAYER OF THE WEEK: #21 Mathieu Darche
Pirates forward Mathieu Darche is the Pirates Player of the Week and the team’s nomination for the AHL Player of the Week. This is the third time this season that Darche has earned the honor. The 32 year-old, notched 4 points (2 goals, 2 assists) this week during the Pirates four games.
On Wednesday night, Darche captured a goal and an assist in the Pirates 4-3 overtime loss on the road to the Springfield Falcons. On Friday night, the former Shark registered an assist in the Pirates 2-1 win at the DCU Center. On Saturday night against Hartford, did not register a point. On Sunday afternoon versus Lowell, he scored the final goal in the Pirates 6-1 victory over the Devils.
The Montreal, Quebec native has 15 points in his last 12 games. He also leads the team in game-winning goals with 7.