Week of 2/23/09
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- Buffalo Sabres GM Darcy Regier announced today the Sabres have recalled goaltender Jhonas Enroth from Portland of the American Hockey League. This is the first recall of the season for Enroth (6/25/1988, 5’10”, 174 lbs.), who has a record of 18-17-5 in 43 games for the Pirates in his rookie season. Enroth also has a 2.71 GAA, .915 save percentage and three shutouts. He leads all rookies in games played and shutouts, and is second in wins.
- On Tuesday night, Pirates defenseman Mike Kostka had two assists and registered a +1 rating in the Pirates 6-3 loss to the Springfield Falcons.
- On Friday night, Nathan Gerbe scored his team-leading 21st goal of the season in the Pirates 7-2 loss to Philadelphia. Gerbe currently ranks 1st among AHL rookie goal scorers with 21 goals.
- On Saturday night, Pirates goalie Jonas Enroth made 43 saves on 45 shots in the Pirates 2-1 overtime loss to the Hartford Wolf Pack.
- Felix Schutz had a goal and an assist on Sunday afternoon in the Pirates 5-2 loss to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers .
- Pirates head coach Kevin Dineen needs just five more victories to pass Barry Trotz for the most victories in franchise history. Dineen has already passed Trotz for the most regular season wins, when he captured win number 159 against Bridgeport on January 24th.
- Derek Whitmore missed his first game of the season on Saturday night in Philadelphia. Only four Pirates players have played in all 58 games this season (Zagrapan, Darche, Fretter and Kostka)
- The Pirates are 24-2-0-0 when leading after the first period.
- Mark Mancari ranks 16th among AHL scoring leaders with 51 points (22 goals, 29 assists).
- Mathieu Darche ranks tied for 1st among AHL leaders in game-winning goals with 7.
- Jhonas Enroth ranks 2nd among AHL goalies with 1,223 saves this season.
- Jhonas Enroth ranks 3rd among AHL goalies in minutes played with 2,526
- Tim Kennedy ranks 1st among AHL rookies in scoring with 47 points (12 goals, 35 assists).
- Nathan Gerbe ranks 8th among AHL rookies in scoring with 38 points (21 goals, 17 assists).
- Tim Kennedy ranks 1st among AHL rookie assists leaders with 35 assists.
- Marc-Andre Gragnani ranks 4th among AHL defensemen in scoring with 36 points (6 goals, 30 assists).
- Marc-Andre Gragnani ranks 5th among AHL defensemen in assists with 30.
- The Pirates are 0/21 on the power play in their last four games.
- Portland is the least penalized team in the Atlantic Division with just 928 penalty minutes.
- The Pirates have lost their last four games 0-3-1-0. The last time the Pirates lost four games in a row was Nov. 21-29th.
- The Pirates will return home on Saturday, February 28th against the Hartford Wolf Pack at 7:00 p.m.
- Portland ranks 13th among all AHL teams in average attendance averaging 4,571 fans per game.
PIRATES PLAYER OF THE WEEK: #28 Mike Kostka
|Saturday, February 28 @ 7:00 p.m. ||Pirates vs. Hartford |
|Sunday, March 1 @ 4:00 p.m. ||Pirates vs. Lowell |
|Tuesday, March 10 @ 7:00 p.m. ||Pirates vs. Binghamton |
|Friday, March 14 @ 7:00 p.m. ||Pirates vs. Lowell |
Pirates defenseman Mike Kostka is the Pirates Player of the Week and the team’s nomination for the AHL Player of the Week. This is the third time this season that Kostka has earned the honor. The former UMass-Amherst standout, notched 4 points (0 goals, 4 assists) this week during the Pirates four games.
On Tuesday night, the Ajax, Ontario native recorded two assists in the Pirates 6-3 loss to the Springfield Falcons at the MassMutual Center. On Friday night, he tallied an assist in the Pirates 7-2 loss against the Philadelphia Phantoms. On Saturday night against Hartford, he recorded an assist to run his point-scoring streak to five games. On Sunday afternoon, Kostka did not register a point in the Pirates 5-2 loss to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.