Follow along with Sabres game day updates and join in on the conversation via Twitter by using #SabresChat
| || |
| ||1 ||2 ||3 ||T |
|PENGUINS || || || ||0 |
|Sabres || || || ||0 |
SCHEDULE FOR TODAY
INFORMATION FOR FOR TONIGHT'S GAME
- 10:30 a.m.: Sabres meeting at First Niagara Center
- 5:30 p.m.: Labatt Blue Light Tailgate Tent Party opens.
- 5:30 p.m.: Arena doors open
- 7:30 p.m.: Game Time
- Tonight's Game Night program can be DOWNLOADED HERE.
- Tonight is the final meeting of the year between Buffalo & Pittsburgh.Buffalo leads the season series 2-1 winning their last meeting in Buffalo 6-2.
- The Sabres will be wearing their blue jerseys for tonight's game and follow that up with their second annual "JERSEY OFF MY BACK" promotion.
- The Labatt Blue Light Tailgate Tent Party kicks off at 5:00 p.m. Tickets can be purchased by CLICKING HERE.
- Don't forget to purchase Foundation 50/50 tickets for tonight's game. Tonight's jackpot is a guaranteed $25,000. Tickets can be purchased up to the fifteen minute mark of the second period.
MOE'S HOT PLAYERS
The Moe's Hot Players of the Night are: Jason Pominville, Jordan Leopold & Cody Hodgson.
If any of the three (3) selected hot players (announced pre-game) score a goal during that night's game, fans can redeem their free GameNight program coupon(page 20) for 50% off their entree tomorrow, at all participating Moe's restaurants. If any of the three (3) selected hot players score a hat trick during that night's game, fans can also redeem their free GameNight program for a free burrito at all participating Moe's restaurants.
SUBWAY SCORE 3 OR MORE
If the Sabres score three (3) or more goals during tonight's game, fans can redeem their game ticket for a free 6" Subway sub with a purchase of 30oz. drink tomorrow only at participating Subway restaurants.
NEW ERA CAP TRICK
Each time a Sabres player scores a hat trick inside First Niagara Center, New Era will make a monetary donation to charity per cap thrown onto the ice. Any hats thrown onto the ice and not claimed will be donated as well.
NEW ERA SCORE MORE
For every goal scored by the Sabres at that night’s game, fans can save a dollar per goal on their purchase of any cap tomorrow at the New Era Buffalo Store when they show their ticket stub.
GAME NOTES FOR TODAY'S GAMEPITTSBURGH vs. SABRES
- Fourth and final meeting between the Sabres and Penguins this season.
- Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Pittsburgh, 6-2, in Buffalo on Feb. 19.
- The Sabres are 3-7-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Penguins; 3-4-3 at home.
- This is the 170th game all-time between Buffalo and Pittsburgh; Buffalo trails the series with a 62-66-41 record. Buffalo is 40-22-22 at home against the Penguins all-time.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- With a win tonight, the Sabres will have won both home games against the Penguins for the first time since the team went 4-0-0 in the season series in 2005-06.
- Buffalo enters tonight’s game tied with Washington for eighth place after beginning the day on Feb. 17 in 14th place in the Eastern Conference and 10 points out of eighth in the Eastern Conference. Since then, they’ve gone 14-2-4 (.800), compiling the league's best record during that stretch. Pittsburgh is second-best at 15-4-1 (.775).
- The Sabres have points in their last nine home games (7-0-2). Their best stretch this year was 10 games, from Dec. 13 to Feb. 10 (6-0-4). Buffalo has gotten a point in 10 of their last 11 games (8-1-2) and 18 of their last 20 (14-2-4).
- Buffalo is on a five-game winning streak for the first time since winning six in a row from Dec. 29, 2009 to Jan. 8, 2010.
Buffalo is 31-3-2 when allowing two or fewer goals and 29-4-4 when scoring three or more… Christian Ehrhoff
left Tuesday’s game with a knee injury… The Sabres haven’t been outscored in the third period in their last nine games… The Sabres have gone 10-for-48 on the power play (20.8%) and 35-for-37 on the penalty kill (94.6%) in their last 16 games, compiling an 11-2-3 record in those games.MARCH TO THE PLAYOFFS
The Sabres are 10-2-2 (.786) with 22 points in the month of March, guaranteeing at least a tie for their best March since the lockout regardless of the outcome of the next two games. The Sabres’ record for most points in a month since the lockout is 23 (Dec. 2005).MILLER TIMERyan Miller
has gone 19-3-5 with one “no decision” in his last 28 games, dating back to Jan. 24 at NJD. During that stretch, Miller has compiled a .940 save percentage and a 1.80 goals against average, with five shutouts. Miller was chosen as one of the NHL “Three Stars of the Week” twice during this period, selected as first star for the week ending March 4 and as second star for the week ending March 25.VANEK ATTACKThomas Vanek
has scored 25 goals this season, giving him seven consecutive seasons with 25 or more goals (every season in his career). Only Gilbert Perreault (13), Dave Andreychuk (10) and Rick Martin (9) have had more 25-goal seasons for the Sabres. Four other players have scored 25 goals in every season since the lockout (Jarome Igninla, Ilya Kovalchuk, Rick Nash and Alexander Ovechkin) and three have done it in each season except for this one: Martin St. Louis (24), Eric Staal (23) and Dany Heatley (21).HOME ICE ADVANTAGEJason Pominville
has registered at least one point in 30 of 39 home games this season. His 43 home points (17+26) rank fifth in the NHL. Pominville hasn't been held pointless in consecutive home games since Feb. 25 and 26, 2011.RESTING UP
Buffalo has played nine games this season against opponents who had played the day before while the Sabres had the day off. They are 8-1-0 in those games and 34-12-3 (.724) in these games since the lockout. The Penhuins –who were on Long Island last night –are 3-2-1 this season in six games as the non-rested team. They are 30-31-7 in these games since the lockout.FOLIGNO-ENNIS-STAFFORD
Buffalo’s line of Tyler Ennis
, Drew Stafford
and Marcus Foligno
has combined for 17 goals and 38 total points in the last nine games:
EVERYBODY’S CHIPPING IN
- Foligno has 10 points (6+4) and a plus-9 rating in nine games since his recall on March 9. Prior to this recall, Foligno had only played one NHL game. His shooting percentage (42.9%) ranks first among all NHL players who have played more than five games this season.
- Ennis has 22 points (8+14) in his last 21 games. The Sabres are 14-1-5 when Ennis records a point this season (41-9-9 in his career) and 6-0-1 when he notches at least two (20-1-2 in his career).
- Stafford has 14 points (6+8) in his last eight games, topping his previous career best of 12 points (9+3) in eight games from Jan. 25 to Feb. 16, 2011.
With Cody McCormick
’s goal on Tuesday at WSH, Buffalo has gotten goals from 30 different scorers this season. The total ties Buffalo’s franchise record, set in 1986-87 and matched in 1987-88 and 1991-92.FINISHING STRONG AFTER THE BREAK
Buffalo is 544-400-185 (.564) all-time in games after the All-Star break. This includes a record of 93-47-23 (.641) in those games since the lockout. The Sabres are 18-5-5 (.732) since the 2012 NHL All-Star Game. These totals do not include games after breaks for the Olympic Games.BATTLING BACK
The Sabres began the day on Feb. 17 in 14th place in the Eastern Conference and 10 points out of a playoff spot after a 7-2 loss at PHI the night before. Since then, the team has gone 14-2-4. Only one team in NHL history has overcome a 10 point deficit this late in the season, when the New York Islanders rallied from a 10-point hole on Feb. 18, 1994 to snag eighth place in the conference.MAN GAMES LOST
Entering tonight’s game, 22 different Sabres have missed at least one game with injury. Buffalo’s total of 309 man games lost is the highest total since the Sabres began tracking man games lost in the 1998-99 season (previous high: 269 in 2003-04). Buffalo has only had two players (Jason Pominville
and Jhonas Enroth
) dress for every game this season.Download your copy of the official game notes by clicking here.
Have an idea for a song that you want to hear at a Sabres game? Let us know what it is by sending us a tweet. Send us a message at @BuffaloSabres
with a hashtag of #SABRETUNES before 12:00 p.m. on a game day and we'll try to get it into the playlist for that night's game.