Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Buffalo Sabres


by Joe Ray / Buffalo Sabres

CANISIUS GOLDEN GRIFFINS (4-4-2 overall, 3-2-1 Atlantic Hockey)

On their first road trip since unveiling their new home rink at HARBORCENTER, Canisius went winless against conference opponent Sacred Heart.

The Pioneers emerged victorious over Canisius 3-2 on Friday. Canisius opened the game strong on a five-on-three opportunity, as defenseman Chris Rumble picked up the power-play goal. After Sacred Heart tied the game midway through the first period, Josh Kielich earned his first goal of the season five minutes into the second period.

The Griffs could not hold the lead, as David Iacono and Drew George also scored in the second to give Sacred Heart a lead that would hold for the rest of the game. Keegan Asmundson made 25 saves on 28 shots in the loss.

On Saturday, Canisius doubled their scoring output from the night before but only escaped with a 4-4 tie. Ryan Schmelzer opened the scoring 4:09 into the night with his first Canisius goal, but Sacred Heart was quick to eliminate that lead with two goals in the next 1:51.

Matthew Grazen brought the score back to 2-2 with a power-play goal for Canisius. Sacred Heart regained the lead going into the final 20 minutes, but Mitch McCrank’s power-play goal evened the game for the third time before Shane Conacher scored the go-ahead goal with five minutes to play.

Just 25 seconds after Canisius emerged with the late lead, Jordan Miniello beat Canisius goaltender Reilly Turner to force the tie. Turner finished the game with 25 saves.

Canisius now hosts three of their next four at HARBORCENTER, including this weekend’s series against RIT.

Upcoming Games:

  • Fri. November 14 vs. RIT (7:35 p.m., HARBORCENTER)
  • Sat. November 15 vs. RIT (7:35 p.m., HARBORCENTER)
  • Fri. November 21 @ Mercyhurst (7:05 p.m.)
  • Sat. November 22 vs. Mercyhurst (7:35 p.m., HARBORCENTER)

NIAGARA PURPLE EAGLES (1-9-0 overall, 1-5-0 Atlantic Hockey)
Heading into a bye week, Niagara found some extra momentum by picking up their first win of the season against the Bentley Falcons.

The Purple Eagles struggled to adapt on the road as Bentley shut down Niagara in a 6-0 victory on Friday. Max French led the way for Bentley with a hat trick, scoring the first two goals and closing out the scoring with 14:29 to play. Bentley goaltender Blake Dougherty, a native of East Amherst, N.Y., shut out the Purple Eagles with 33 saves.

Jackson Teichroeb started for Niagara and made 34 saves on 40 shots against Bentley. Nick Cecere and Albin Karlsson led Niagara with four shots each.

The fortunes turned for the Purple Eagles, who picked up a 3-2 win on Saturday at Bentley. Hugo Turcotte opened the scoring for Niagara 56 seconds into the second period with assists from linemates Robert Angiolella and Dan Kolenda. After a Bentley power-play goal, Angiolella and Turcotte set up Keegan Harper for the go-ahead score.

Steve Weinstein scored a power-play goal for the Falcons late in the second to force overtime. After a scoreless third period, Niagara jumped out of the gates in overtime. Isaac Kohls beat Dougherty 55 seconds into overtime to send the Purple Eagles home with a win. Angiolella (0+3) and Turcotte (1+2) set up the game-winner as well, giving them three points apiece for the game.

Niagara has some to relish their victory before returning to action back home at Dwyer Arena next weekend.

Upcoming Games:

  • Fri. November 21 vs. Army (7:05 p.m., Dwyer Arena)
  • Sat. November 22 vs. Army (7:00 p.m., Dwyer Arena)

RIT TIGERS (2-6-1 overall, 1-4-1 Atlantic Hockey)
After a tough road series with Atlantic Hockey leader Robert Morris, RIT failed to earn a win for the second straight weekend, registering a tie and a loss against visiting Holy Cross.

The Tigers and Crusaders skated to a hard-fought 3-3 tie on Friday. Holy Cross scored two goals in the opening eight minutes to take command early in the contest. RIT fought back in the second, as Brady Noorish got the Tigers on the board. Jordan Ruby, who made 34 saves for RIT in the tie, stopped all 16 Holy Cross shots in the second to keep his team in the game.

Andrew Miller earned the unassisted equalizer for RIT at the 12:25 mark of the third period, but Holy Cross’ Scott Pooley retaliated with a goal with just over five minutes to play. With their goaltender pulled in the closing minutes, Matt Garbowsky came through for the Tigers with the final goal. Neither team generated many chances in the overtime period, as the two sides skated away with a tie.

After a back-and-forth contest Friday, Holy Cross came out on top 2-1 on Saturday. The Falcons opened the scoring 9:24 into the second period with a goal by Matt Vidal. Garbowsky picked up his second goal in as many nights to tie the game late in the second.

During the third period, RIT was outshot 8-3 and Holy Cross was the only team to break through, as Karl Beckman scored a power-play tally five minutes into the final stanza. Ruby made a second straight start for RIT, stopping 19 of 21 shots in the loss.

RIT makes a short road trip to downtown Buffalo this weekend for their first appearance at HARBORCENTER against Canisius.

Upcoming Games:

  • Fri. November 14 @ Canisius (7:35 p.m.)
  • Sat. November 15 @ Canisius (7:35 p.m.)
  • Fri. November 21 vs. Sacred Heart (7:05 p.m., Gene Polisseni Center)
  • Sat. November 22 vs. Sacred Heart (7:05 p.m., Gene Polisseni Center)

BUFFALO STATE BENGALS (1-1-2 overall, 1-1-2 SUNYAC)
In their second weekend of the season, the Bengals played host to the Morrisville State Mustangs. Neither team came out with a win this weekend as the two sides skated to consecutive ties.

Friday night saw the teams skate to a 4-4 tie. Anthony Beaumont provided the equalizer with a power-play tally in the second after the Bengals surrendered an early goal to Morrisville State. The Mustangs picked up three goals in a 5:17 span in the second to take a commanding 4-1 lead.

Buffalo State had to battle back from a deep deficit, and that is just what they did. Brett Hope added two goals for the Bengals, one with 28 seconds to play in the second and the other 3:54 into the third. With goaltender Mike DeLaVergne pulled in favor of an extra attacker, Jake Rosen completed the Buffalo State comeback with 27 seconds to play.

DeLaVergne stopped four more shots in overtime to hold the tie, ending the game with 37 saves on 41 shots.

Saturday’s tie required more late-game heroics from Buffalo State. The Bengals raced to a 4-2 lead by the 1:31 mark of the second period riding a strong power-play which was responsible for three of their goals. Morrisville State stormed back, as Matt Beer and MJ Maerkl scored late in the second period before Layne Martin added a go-ahead power-play tally with just over seven minutes to play.

Facing another late one-goal deficit, Marcus Michalski came up with the key unassisted goal to force overtime at 5-5. Once again, DeLaVergne held down the fort in net for the Bengals with four key stops in the extra period.

The Bengals now face a lengthy road trip, as they do not return to Buffalo State Ice Arena until December 13.

Upcoming Games:

  • Fri. November 14 @ Plattsburgh (7:00 p.m.)
  • Sat. November 15 @ Potsdam (7:00 p.m.)
  • Fri. November 21 @ Fredonia (7:00 p.m.)
View More