NHL pauses 2019-20 season
As always, the health and safety of our players, staff and fans remains our top priorityby Pegula Sports and Entertainment @PegulaSE / PSEntertainment.com
The Buffalo Sabres, Rochester Americans, Buffalo Bandits, Rochester Knighthawks and Pegula Sports & Entertainment are in full support of the NHL's, AHL's and NLL's decisions to pause their respective 2019-2020 seasons.
The health and safety of players, staff and fans is our top priority. We have been monitoring the rapidly changing coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, and have been reviewing information from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Our organizations take the health and safety of our players, staff and fans seriously, and are operating in their best interest. During this pause, we will be working to expand the health and safety standards at KeyBank Center and Blue Cross Arena.
Together with our food service partner, Delaware North, we are implementing the following protocols as recommended by CDC guidelines:
- Enhanced sanitization of concessions areas, including expanded cleaning and disinfecting of touch points in food preparation and service areas
- Enhanced sanitization of high-traffic areas and touchpoints such as elevators and railings frequently throughout arena events
- Installation of several new alcohol-based hand sanitizer stations throughout the arenas
- Employees have been educated on practices to prevent the spread of disease and have been instructed to comply with the CDC guidelines to stay home from work when experiencing any symptoms
Additionally, Delaware North has issued several specific directives to follow the CDC's recommendations for business:
- Displaying posters at key locations in the workplace, encouraging employees to stay home when sick, workplace cleaning and disinfecting and hand washing and several other hygiene measures
- Providing adequate supplies of tissues, hand soaps and alcohol-based hand rubs in multiple and appropriate locations in the workplace
- Performing environmental cleaning of frequently touched workplace surfaces and providing disposable disinfectant wipes so that employees can wipe down surfaces more often
- Following additional guidance from the National Restaurant Association specific to food-service operations
We urge all fans and community members to strictly follow CDC guidelines for preventing the spread of disease, as found on CDC.gov:
- Clean your hands often
- Avoid close contact
- Stay home if you're sick
- Cover coughs and sneezes
- Wear a facemask if you're sick
- Clean and disinfect
Since the NHL, AHL and NLL are planning to reschedule games, please hold on to your tickets.
For any additional questions for the KeyBank Center ticket office, please contact 1-888-GO-SABRES. Sabres season ticket holders are also encouraged to reach out to their dedicated account representative with any inquiries.
For any questions for the Blue Cross Arena ticket office, please contact 855-GO-AMERKS.
Any announcements on other scheduled events at KeyBank Center and Blue Cross Arena will be made at a later time on a case by case basis.
National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman released the following statement regarding the 2019-20 NHL season earlier this afternoon:
"In light of ongoing developments resulting from the coronavirus, and after consulting with medical experts and convening a conference call of the Board of Governors, the National Hockey League is announcing today that it will pause the 2019‑20 season beginning with tonight's games.
"The NHL has been attempting to follow the mandates of health experts and local authorities, while preparing for any possible developments without taking premature or unnecessary measures. However, following last night's news that an NBA player has tested positive for coronavirus - and given that our leagues share so many facilities and locker rooms and it now seems likely that some member of the NHL community would test positive at some point - it is no longer appropriate to try to continue to play games at this time.
"We will continue to monitor all the appropriate medical advice, and we will encourage our players and other members of the NHL community to take all reasonable precautions - including by self-quarantine, where appropriate. Our goal is to resume play as soon as it is appropriate and prudent, so that we will be able to complete the season and award the Stanley Cup. Until then, we thank NHL fans for your patience and hope you stay healthy."
The health and safety of our players, staff and fans remains our top priority. We urge the entire community to practice caution during this time. Thank you for your support of the Buffalo Sabres, Rochester Americans, Buffalo Bandits and Rochester Knighthawks.
About Pegula Sports & Entertainment
Pegula Sports & Entertainment (PSE) streamlines key business areas across all Pegula family-owned sports and entertainment properties including the Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres, Buffalo Bandits, Rochester Americans, Rochester Knighthawks, LECOM Harborcenter, Black River Entertainment, ADPRO Sports, PicSix Creative agency and numerous hospitality properties. PSE aims to be a leader in the sports and entertainment industry by bringing together the individual resources, capabilities and talents of each of its entities to create a cohesive and sustainable brand that together represents the Pegula family's interest. PSE's mission is exemplified by its One Buffalo initiative, which unites Western New York and serves as a representation of teamwork through a deeper connection between Buffalo sports teams, fans and the community.