Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Buffalo Sabres

Buffalo Claims Second Cup

by Staff Writer / Buffalo Sabres
The Buffalo Senior team clinched its second consecutive Bowman Cup championship with a 5-3 comeback victory over the Rochester Seniors at HSBC Arena on Saturday night. After falling behind 3-0 through 19 minutes of play, Buffalo rallied with five-unanswered goals in the second and third periods to claim the cup.

Forward Andrew Klin - a native of Lancaster, N.Y. - led all scorers with a goal and two assists.

Trailing Rochester 3-1 with less than a minute remaining in the second period, Chris Kaleta - brother of Sabres prospect Patrick Kaleta - scored to bring Buffalo within a goal with three seconds left on the clock.

Klin scored 30 seconds into the third to tie the game 3-3, while Kenny Joseph gave Buffalo its first lead a minute later after receiving a feed from John Ennis at 1:19.

Cutting through Rochester's zone, Alex Durinka scored the final goal of the game on an individual effort to give Buffalo the 5-3 lead at 5:28 of the third.

Rochester jumped out to a 3-0 lead with goals by Nicholas Underwood at 12:30 of the first, Allan Campisi at 0:51 of the second and Ryan Filipowicz at the 1:37 mark of the middle period.

In a special presentation by the Sabres Alumni Association, John Ennis of Buffalo and Alex Pelligra of Rochester each were awarded a $1,000 scholarship courtesy of the Buffalo Sabres Alumni. Rob Ray, Danny Gare, Larry Playfair, Scotty Bowman and Ric Seiling were on hand to present each player with the oversized check.

Playfair and Ray coached the Buffalo Senior team, while Gare controlled the helm of the hometown Junior squad. Seiling coached both Rochester teams.

In the Junior game, Buffalo rolled to a 7-2 victory following four goals in the second period.

Anthony Clair, Marc Zoyhofski, Ron Fernia, Robert Szyrnkowiak, Ryan Geary, Tyler Matthews and Brian Dowd each scored for Buffalo, who never trailed in the contest.

Rochester's pair of goals were scored by Matt DiMarco in the first and Brendon Rothfuss with seven minutes remaining in the game.
View More