Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Detroit Red Wings

Quincey roughed up in win over Oilers

by Bill Roose / Detroit Red Wings
Oilers center Teemu Hartikainen left his feet to make a hit from behind on Red Wings defenseman Kyle Quincey during the second period of Friday's game at Rexall Place. (Photo by Getty Images)

EDMONTON – Fearing that Kyle Quincey may have a fractured cheekbone when he was struck by a third-period shot Friday night, the veteran defenseman stayed in Alberta after the Red Wings’ 3-2 overtime win over the Oilers at Rexall Place.

Immediately following the game, the Wings traveled, without Quincey, to Vancouver where they will play the Canucks at Rogers Arena on Saturday night.

Coach Mike Babcock said that Quincey wouldn’t travel to British Columbia with the team for fear that cabin pressure in the airplane would cause greater damage if in fact he has a fractured cheekbone.

Oilers team physicians examined Quincey at Rexall Place, but apparently the arena doesn’t possess a X-ray machine that could rule out a fracture that would have allowed him to travel.

“Docs want him to stay here. They don’t want any pressure, so they’ll get him looked at,” Babcock said. “There’s no X-ray, I can’t believe that.”

It’s expected that Quincey will travel to Vancouver after he is re-examined on Saturday, but will not play. The Red Wings do have two veteran defensemen on the trip. Both Ian White and Kent Huskins have been healthy scratches recently. White will likely be inserted in the lineup for Quincey, who has a goal and an assist in 26 games this season.

Friday was a rough night, physically, for Quincey, who was first sent face-first into the end boards as he skated behind the Red Wings’ net to retrieve a loose puck. Oilers center Teemu Hartikainen received a minor penalty for boarding as he left his feet to drill Quincey into the boards at 5:01 of the second period.

It's possible that the league could levy a suspension on Hartikainen, who clearly jumped into the air to make the hit on Quincey.

But it was in the third period when Quincey suffered the facial injury when a puck rode up the shaft of his stick from a shot by Oilers center Jordan Eberle. Quincey was helped off the ice by Red Wings trainer Piet Van Zant and did not return to the game.

Last month, Quincey needed more than 20 stitches to close a large cut on his chin when he was cross-checked in the face by Devin Setoguchi. The Minnesota forward was later fined $8,108.11, the maximum amount allowed under the collective bargaining agreement.

Follow Bill Roose on Twitter | @Bill_Roose

View More