DETROIT – The fierce in-state rivalry between the University of Michigan Wolverines and the Michigan State University Spartans continues with the “Duel in the D” at Joe Louis Arena on Friday, Jan. 30 at 7:30 p.m., hosted by Olympia Entertainment.
The highly-anticipated rematch between Michigan and Michigan State comes after the Wolverines claimed their 16th MacInnes Cup with a 2-1 win over the Spartans in the Championship Game of the 50th Annual Great Lakes Invitational on Dec. 29 in front of 17,776 college hockey fans at Joe Louis Arena. The meeting was the 300th all-time between the in-state rivals, making it the most-played rivalry in college hockey.
"We are excited to return to Joe Louis Arena for the annual ‘Duel in the D’ game against Michigan State," said Michigan head coach Red Berenson. "There was a tremendous crowd on hand to watch Michigan and Michigan State play for the 50th Great Lakes Invitational Championship. We're looking forward to a similar atmosphere when we meet again with three Big Ten points on the line."
“Playing at Joe Louis Arena is always a thrill for our program,” said Michigan State head coach Tom Anastos. “The opportunity to take on your biggest rival makes the experience even better for both our players and fans. We’re looking forward to another great atmosphere.”
Fans will get a chance to see the stars of tomorrow when the teams hit the ice, as Michigan boasts 10 NHL draft picks on its roster, including Dylan Larkin, the Red Wings first-round selection (15th overall) in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, while Michigan State has six draft picks. Michigan currently sits in first place in the Big Ten with a 4-1-0 conference record (12-7-0 overall) and Michigan State is in fourth place at 1-2-1 (7-10-1 overall).
Michigan and Michigan State have met at least once per season at Joe Louis Arena since 1990, with the Wolverines holding the series advantage at The Joe with a 14-9-4 record. The two teams split a pair of games in Detroit last season, as Michigan State claimed a 3-0 win in the Third-Place Game of the Great Lakes Invitational at Comerica Park on Dec. 28, 2013 as part of the SiriusXM Hockeytown Winter Festival™, and Michigan earned a 2-1 win at Joe Louis Arena on Jan. 23. Michigan holds a 153-128-19 edge in the all-time series.
Tickets for the “Duel in the D” are now on sale at the Joe Louis Arena Box Office all Ticketmaster outlets (800-745-3000) and online at www.OlympiaEntertainment.com:
- Little Caesars Family 4-Packs featuring four tickets, four slices of pizza or hot dogs and four soft drinks start at $44.
- FOX Sports Detroit College Hockey Hat Packs return for $25 – offering fans one upper-level general admission ticket and a limited-edition Red Wings hat designed in the color scheme of either Michigan or Michigan State.
- Individual tickets start at $15.
- Group rates for 10 or more tickets are available by calling the Red Wings Ticket Sales Office at 313-471-7575.
- Student rates are also available for $12 per ticket by providing a valid student ID at the Joe Louis Arena Box Office on Friday, Jan. 30.