Skip to main content
The Official Site of the New York Rangers

Rangers hope to hit the jackpot tonight

by Staff Writer / New York Rangers
Prospects Central

Rangers Draft History

Six years have passed since the Rangers last had a pick in the NHL draft's top 10, but as a result of missing the playoffs this month, the Blueshirts now own the No. 10 pick and are guaranteed to pick no lower than 11th overall at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft on June 25 at Staples Center in Los Angeles.

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly will reveal the order of selection for the top picks in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft on Versus and online at NHL.com.
Depending on the results of tonight's NHL Draft Drawing, the Blueshirts' pick could go as high as No. 6 -- giving Gordie Clark, the Rangers' Director, Player Personnel, and his scouting staff the opportunity to land one of the world's truly elite 18-year-old prospects in June.

Even if another team's success in tonight's drawing knocks the Rangers down to No. 11, the 2010 pick will be the Rangers' highest since goaltender Al Montoya was taken No. 6 overall in 2004 and mark only the third time in 10 years that the Blueshirts have drafted in the top 11.

The annual Draft Drawing, or "lottery" as it is often called, dates back to 1995. The 14 teams finishing outside of the playoff picture are all given an opportunity to move up four spots in the draft by winning the drawing.

Under a weighted system, teams with the weakest records are given the highest likelihood of winning, and only teams in the top five are eligible to gain the No. 1 overall pick via the drawing.

Nine teams finished with fewer points than the Rangers in 2009-10, so the Blueshirts will have only a 2.1 percent chance to win the drawing and move up to No. 6. There is also only a 3.9 percent chance that the Rangers would drop to No. 11 as a result of any of the teams behind them winning the draw. Thus, there is a 94 percent likelihood that the Rangers will draft at No. 10 overall in June.

Edmonton, which finished with the weakest record in the NHL, has a 25 percent chance of retaining the No. 1 overall pick tonight. The Oilers have never had the No. 1 overall pick in the 31-year history of their franchise.

Two playoff teams -- Boston and Phoenix -- will participate in the drawing because they own first-round picks traded to them by non-playoff teams. The Bruins could end up with the No. 1 pick, since they control Toronto's draft position as a result of the trade involving Phil Kessel.

Tonight's Draft Drawing will air nationally on Versus at 8 p.m. ET. Versus will be taking its feed from Canadian broadcaster TSN's live coverage of the event. The drawing can also be viewed live online at NHL.com.
View More