NEW YORK RANGERS at FLORIDA PANTHERS
Tuesday, Mar. 7, 2017, 7:30 p.m. ET
BB&T Center - Sunrise, FL
Rangers: 42-22-2 (86 pts)
Panthers: 29-24-11 (69 pts)
The Rangers play their 67th game of the 2016-17 season and conclude a back-to-back set tonight, Mar. 7, against the Florida Panthers at BB&T Center (7:30 p.m. ET - TV: MSG Network; Radio: ESPN 98.7 FM). The Rangers continue a stretch of four consecutive road games tomorrow. The Blueshirts have won 11 of their last 16 games (11-4-1), as well as 14 of their last 21 contests (14-6-1). The Rangers have posted a 42-22-2 record this season.
RANGERS VS. PANTHERS
- All-Time: 50-29-6-5 (26-14-4-1 at home; 24-15-2-4 on the road)
- 2016-17: Tomorrow's game is the second of three meetings between the Rangers and Panthers, and the only meeting between the two teams in Florida. The Rangers have posted a 0-0-1 record (0-0-1 at home; 0-0-0 on the road) and were defeated by the Panthers, 3-2, in a shootout on Nov. 20 at MSG. Chris Kreider and Mika Zibanejad each tallied a goal in the contest, and Henrik Lundqvist stopped 28 of 30 shots he faced in regulation and overtime. Following tomorrow's contest, the Rangers and Panthers will play against each other on the following date: Mar. 17 (at MSG).
- The Rangers have won eight of their last 10 games against the Panthers, dating back to Nov. 10, 2013 (8-1-1). In addition, the Rangers have won 13 of their last 18 games against Florida, dating back to Mar. 22, 2011 (13-4-1).
- Jaromir Jagr played parts of four seasons with the Rangers (2003-04 - 2007-08) and established single-season franchise records with 54 goals and 123 points in 2005-06. Jagr also served as the Rangers captain for two seasons (2006-07 and 2007-08).
- Keith Yandle played parts of two seasons with the Rangers (2014-15 and 2015-16).
- Tanner Glass was selected by Florida in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft and played parts of two seasons with the Panthers (2007-08 and 2008-09).
- Steven Kampfer skated in 73 games over parts of three seasons with the Panthers (2014-15 - 2016-17). Kampfer was acquired by the Panthers in a trade with the Rangers on Oct. 6, 2014, and he was acquired by the Rangers in a trade with the Panthers on Nov. 8, 2016.
- Brandon Pirri played parts of three seasons with Florida (2013-14 - 2015-16) and established a career-high with 22 goals while playing with the Panthers in 2014-15.
- Brendan Smith and Reilly Smith are brothers. In the last game which the brothers faced each other (Oct. 30, 2016), Brendan tied a single-game career-high with two points (one goal, one assist).
- Jonathan Marchessault played one season with the Rangers' American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Connecticut Whale (2011-12).
- Roberto Luongo and Henrik Lundqvist rank first and second, respectively, among active NHL goaltenders in career appearances, wins, and shutouts.
- J.T. Miller, Jimmy Vesey, and Vincent Trocheck helped the United States win a gold medal at the 2013 IIHF World Junior Championship.
- Brady Skjei and Nick Bjugstad were teammates at the University of Minnesota for one season (2012-13).
INDIVIDUAL CAREER STATISTICS VS. PANTHERS
- Henrik Lundqvist - 34 GP, 22-10-2, 1.91 GAA, .934 SV%, 5 SO - In his last 21 appearances against Florida (dating back to Nov. 25, 2009), Lundqvist has posted a 15-5-1 record, along with a 1.79 GAA, a .934 SV%, and 2 SO.
- Derek Stepan - 21 GP, 5-13-18 - Stepan has not gone two consecutive games without a point against Florida over the course of his career. He has notched an assist/point in eight of the last 10 games against the Panthers, registering 10 assists over the span.
- Rick Nash - 21 GP, 10-7-17 - Nash has registered six goals/points in the last six games against Florida.
- Mats Zuccarello - 15 GP, 7-9-16 - Zuccarello has recorded a point in four of the last six games against the Panthers (three goals, four assists), and he has posted five multi-point games in 15 career contests against Florida.
The Rangers' 42 wins in 2016-17 are tied for the second-most the team has earned through the first 66 games of one season in franchise history. The Blueshirts have registered at least 42 wins in their first 66 games of a season seven times in franchise history, and the only season in which the Rangers earned more than 42 wins through the first 66 games was 1971-72 (44). The Rangers are tied for second in the NHL - and rank second in the Eastern Conference - in wins this season. The Blueshirts lead the NHL in wins since the start of the 2013-14 season (186), and the Rangers' 186 wins are the most in any four-season span in franchise history.
In their last 92 back-to-back sets (since the start of the 2010-11 season), the Rangers have posted a 61-25-6 record in the second game of the set. New York has posted an 8-2-0 record in the second game of a back-to-back set in 2016-17.
New York leads the NHL in road wins this season (23) and also leads the NHL in road wins since the start of the 2013-14 season (95). The Rangers have won each of their last four road games, eight of their last nine road contests (8-1-0), and 16 of their last 19 road games (16-3-0). The Blueshirts have allowed two goals or fewer in seven of their last nine road games (14 goals against over the span; 1.56 goals against per game). The Rangers' 23 road wins in 2016-17 are the sixth-most the team has recorded in one season in franchise history.
ONE AND WON
Since Jan. 7, 15 of the Rangers' 25 games have been decided by one goal. The Rangers have earned at least one point in each of the last 12 games they have played which were decided by one goal, dating back to Jan. 22 (11-0-1 record). The Blueshirts have posted a 20-7-2 record in one-goal games this season and rank second in the NHL in winning percentage in one-goal games in 2016-17 (.690).
The Rangers have allowed two goals or fewer in regulation in 13 of the last 21 games and in 39 games this season. The Blueshirts have posted a 33-4-2 record in those 39 contests in 2016-17.
Blueshirts defensemen have tallied 22 points (seven goals, 15 assists) over the last 12 games and a Rangers defenseman has recorded a goal in six of the 12 contests. Six different defensemen have recorded a goal over the span (Klein, Girardi, Holden, McDonagh, Clendening, and Skjei). A Rangers defenseman has notched a point on nine of the team's last 11 goals.
THIRD PERIOD TALLIES
The Blueshirts lead the NHL in third period goals in 2016-17 (87). The Rangers' 87 goals in the third period are the most a team has registered in any period this season.
Four of the Rangers' last eight games have been decided in either overtime or a shootout. The Blueshirts have posted an 8-2 record in games decided after regulation this season, including a 5-0 record in games decided in the five-minute overtime period.
Three Rangers rookies have registered 16 or more points this season (Skjei, Vesey, and Buchnevich). Prior to this season, the last time three Rangers rookies tallied at least 16 points in the same season was 2005-06 (Prucha, Tyutin, and Moore).
Since Alain Vigneault was named the Rangers' Head Coach prior to the start of the 2013-14 season, the Blueshirts lead the NHL in wins (186). Vigneault leads all NHL head coaches in wins since the start of the 2006-07 season (499).
Henrik Lundqvist earned his 400th career NHL win on Feb. 11 vs. Colorado. Lundqvist, who earned his 400th career NHL win in his 727th career NHL appearance, became the fastest goaltender in NHL history to accomplish the feat. He also became the second goaltender in NHL history to earn all of his first 400 career wins with one franchise (Brodeur - NJD). Lundqvist has posted an 11-5-1 record, along with a 2.28 GAA, a .928 SV%, and 1 SO in his last 18 appearances.
Lundqvist enters the contest with 29 wins this season and 403 wins in his NHL career. He is one win away from...
- passing Grant Fuhr for sole possession of 10th place on the NHL's all-time wins list
- passing Martin Brodeur for the most wins by a goaltender in his first 12 seasons in NHL history
- becoming the first goaltender in NHL history to earn 30 or more wins in 11 of his first 12 seasons, and the third goaltender in NHL history to earn at least 30 wins in 11 or more seasons (along with Brodeur and Patrick Roy).
SKJEI HEY KID
Brady Skjei has registered 14 points (two goals, 12 assists) and a plus-12 rating in the last 21 games (since Jan. 19), and he is the only NHL defenseman who has recorded at least 14 points and a plus-12 rating over the span. He has also notched 11 points (one goal, 10 assists) in the last 17 games, including 10 points (one goal, nine assists) in the last 15 games. Skjei has registered 28 assists in 2016-17, and his 28 assists are tied for the most a Rangers defenseman has notched in his rookie season since Brian Leetch established a franchise record for assists by a rookie with 48 in 1988-89.
Mika Zibanejad registered the game-winning goal in overtime tonight at Tampa Bay. Zibanejad has tallied two overtime goals this season (tonight and Feb. 25 at New Jersey), and he has recorded the deciding goal in either overtime or a shootout in three of the Rangers' last seven contests.
Ryan McDonagh tallied an assist on the game-winning goal in overtime tonight at Tampa Bay. The Rangers captain is one of five NHL defensemen who have registered at least 20 primary assists in 2016-17. McDonagh leads Rangers defensemen in assists (32), points (35), and plus/minus rating (plus-17) this season. He has led the Rangers in ice time in 58 of the 65 games he has played in 2016-17.
- The Rangers were 0-for-3 (5:12) tonight at Tampa Bay.
- New York is tied for eighth in the NHL in power play efficiency on the road this season (21.1%; 19-for-90).
- The Rangers were 6-for-6 (8:45) tonight at Tampa Bay; the Rangers successfully killed off six power play opportunities for the opponent in one game for the first time since Mar. 26, 2016 at Montreal.
- The Blueshirts are tied for the NHL lead in SHG in 2016-17 (eight).
- New York ranks fifth in the NHL in penalty kill efficiency on the road this season (86.0%; 74-for-86).
- Brandon Pirri - 2 points away from 100 in his NHL career
INJURIES (156 Man-Games Lost to Injury)
- Kevin Klein (back spasms) - has missed seven games
- Dan Girardi (ankle) - has missed four games
- Jesper Fast (upper-body) - has missed three games
- Michael Grabner (hip) - has missed three games
- Mar. 5 - Recalled Tanner Glass and Steven Kampfer from Hartford (AHL)
- Mar. 2 - Recalled Pavel Buchnevich from Hartford (AHL)
- Mar. 1 - Assigned Steven Kampfer to Hartford (AHL); Acquired Taylor Beck from Edmonton in exchange for Justin Fontaine
- Feb. 28 - Recalled Steven Kampfer from Hartford (AHL); Acquired Brendan Smith from Detroit in exchange for a second round pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft and a third round pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft; Acquired Daniel Catenacci from Buffalo in exchange for Mat Bodie; Assigned Pavel Buchnevich to Hartford (AHL)
THIS DAY IN RANGERS HISTORY
- Mar. 7, 1997 - Adam Graves registered his 200th career NHL goal and his 400th career NHL point as the Rangers faced the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.