NEW YORK RANGERS at NEW YORK ISLANDERS
Tuesday, Oct. 4, 2016, 7:00 p.m. ET
Barclays Center - Brooklyn, NY
Rangers: 2-1-1 (5 pts)
Islanders: 2-3-0 (4 pts)
The Rangers play their fifth game of the 2016 preseason tonight, Oct. 4, against the New York Islanders at Barclays Center (7:00 p.m. - TV: MSG Network). Tonight's matchup is the fifth of six preseason contests for the Blueshirts.
2016 PRESEASON GAME RECAPS
Oct. 3 - Rangers 3 at Flyers 4 (OT) - The Rangers rallied from a 3-0 deficit to tie the game in the third period and earn a point in the contest. Ryan Graves registered his first goal of the preseason at 16:23 of the second period to make the score 3-1, and Brandon Pirri cut New York's deficit to one 4:46 into the third period. Jimmy Vesey tied the contest by registering a power play goal with 9:09 remaining in regulation. Henrik Lundqvist stopped 17 of 18 shots he faced while playing the first half of the contest, including all 15 shots he faced in the first period.
Oct. 1 - Rangers 4 at Devils 5 - Four different Rangers tallied a goal and 10 different Blueshirts notched a point in the contest. Mika Zibanejad (one goal, one assist) and Adam Clendening (two assists) each recorded two points in the game, while Jesper Fast, John Gilmour, and Michael Grabner each registered a goal.
Sept. 29 - Rangers 3 vs. Devils 1 - John Gilmour registered a power play goal 3:21 into the game to give the Rangers a 1-0 lead, and Brandon Pirri extended New York's lead to two at 9:35 of the opening frame. New Jersey cut its deficit in half with seven minutes remaining in the second period, but Pirri registered his second goal of the game to close out the scoring.
Sept. 27 - Rangers 5 vs. Islanders 2 - After the Islanders opened the scoring 1:33 into the contest, Mika Zibanejad tied the game by recording a power play goal at 4:55 of the first period. Chris Kreider and Brandon Pirri each tallied a goal to extend the Blueshirts' lead to two. The Islanders' cut their deficit in half with 8:06 remaining in regulation, but Dylan McIlrath's goal helped the Rangers regain a two-goal lead, and Dan Girardi tallied an empty-net goal to close out the scoring.
- October 3 - Assigned Calle Andersson, Chris Brown, Steven Fogarty, Ryan Gropp, Tommy Hughes, Philip McRae, Michael Paliotta, and Adam Tambellini to Hartford (AHL)
- October 2 - Assigned Sean Day to the Mississauga Steelheads of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL)
- September 30 - Assigned Brandon Halverson and Jeff Malcolm to Hartford (AHL)
- September 27 - Assigned Adam Chapie, Troy Donnay, Michael Joly, and Ahti Oksanen to Hartford (AHL); Released Matt Carey, Spiro Goulakos, and Garrett Noonan from their Professional Tryouts; Released Nick Betz, Reid Duke, and Joseph Raaymakers from their Amateur Tryouts; Returned Tim Gettinger, Ty Ronning, and Sergey Zborovskiy to their respective junior teams
RANGERS 2016 OFF-SEASON ACTIVITY
- September 2 - Named Chris Drury Assistant General Manager
- August 26 - Signed Brandon Pirri as a free agent
- August 19 - Signed Jimmy Vesey as a free agent
- August 18 - Signed John Gilmour as a free agent
- August 3 - Named Keith McCambridge Assistant Coach of the Hartford Wolf Pack
- July 28 - Re-signed Marek Hrivik
- July 26 - Signed Sergey Zborovskiy to first NHL contract
- July 22 - Re-signed Chris Kreider and Kevin Hayes
- July 18 - Signed Robin Kovacs to first NHL contract; Acquired Mika Zibanejad and a second round pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft from Ottawa in exchange for Derick Brassard and a seventh round pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft
- July 15 - Re-signed Dylan McIlrath and Tommy Hughes; Signed Josh Jooris
- July 13 - Re-signed J.T. Miller
- July 5 - Re-signed Mat Bodie and Nicklas Jensen
- July 1 - Named Jeff Beukeboom Assistant Coach; Signed Michael Grabner, Nathan Gerbe, Adam Clendening, and Michael Paliotta as free agents
- June 25 - Acquired Nick Holden from Colorado in exchange for a fourth round pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft
- June 20 - Acquired a sixth round pick in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft (Tyler Wall) and a fourth round pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft from Florida in exchange for Keith Yandle
- June 15 - Re-signed Chris Summers
- May 13 - Signed Pavel Buchnevich to first NHL contract
- May 2 - Re-signed Antti Raanta
THIS DAY IN RANGERS HISTORY
- Oct. 4, 1991 - The Rangers acquired Mark Messier in a trade with the Edmonton Oilers.
- Oct. 4 - Vic Hadfield (76 years old)