The Rangers came within two minutes of forcing Pittsburgh to overtime in Game 1 of their Eastern Conference semifinal series on Friday night at Mellon Arena, but Evgeni Malkin scored on a power play with only 1:41 left to give the Pens a 5-4 victory.
| Box Score THREE STARS OF THE GAME
1. S. CROSBY -- PIT
2. J. RUUTU -- PIT
3. M. STAAL -- NYRNOTES
* The Rangers lost for the first time in four road games in the 2008 Stanley Cup playoffs.
* Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist
finished the game with 21 saves and is now 12-7-3 against Pittsburgh in his career (regular-season and playoffs combined)
* The Rangers did not lose to Pittsburgh in any two consecutive games during the 2007-08 regular season. The Blueshirts, however, won three straight over the Penguins in November and December.
* Three of the eight regular-season Rangers-Penguins games in 2007-08 were decided by one goal.
* The Penguins are 3-0 in playoff series against the Rangers, winning in 1989, 1992 and 1996. Pittsburgh won the first game in each of those series.