Trailing 2-0 in the third period on Friday night in Philadelphia, the Rangers erupted for three goals down the stretch to force overtime and gain a big point on the road. The Flyers, however, ended up with the extra point and a 4-3 victory via a shootout.
| Box Score
THREE STARS OF THE GAME
1. D. BRIERE -- PHI
2. C. BACKMAN -- NYR
3. J. CARTER -- PHINOTES
* Scott Gomez, the Rangers leading scorer, slipped and crashed into the boards at 9:48 of the first period. He left and did not return to the game due to an upper-body injury.
* Center Blair Betts missed his first game of the season after undergoing surgery on his foot earlier on Friday. He will miss 2-3 weeks of action.
* Winger Ryan Hollweg played his first game since Feb. 28 after being a healthy scratch in nine straight games.
* Stephen Valiquette started in goal and suffered his first loss to the Flyers in four decisions this season. He also had his shutout streak at The Wachovia Center snapped at 151:13 when Mike Richards scored at 4:37 of the opening period.
* Jaromir Jagr tied the game with 1:51 remaining in the third period. The goal was his 19th of the season and the 640th of his career, tying him with Dave Andreychuk for 12th place on the all-time NHL goal-scoring list.
* Christian Backman assisted on all three Ranger goals, his first three assists since being acquired from St. Louis at the trading deadline. He is 1-3-4 in 11 games as a Ranger.
* Martin Straka had a team-high 24:04 of ice time, assisted on Jagr’s goal, and finished a plus-two on the night.