| ||VS. || |
The Rangers face-off against the San Jose Sharks tonight at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.). The Blueshirts currently rank first in the Atlantic Division standings, and first in the Eastern Conference, with a record of 7-1-0 (14 pts.). New York enter tonight's contest having defeated Toronto, 4-1, Saturday at Air Canada Centre to extend their winning streak to seven games, their longest since they won seven straight during the 2005-06 season (Feb. 1 - Mar. 2). San Jose enter the contest with a 4-3-1 (nine pts.) record, and rank eighth in the Western Conference. Following tonight's game, the Rangers will face-off against the New Jersey Devils on Thursday, Oct. 22, at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.), in an Atlantic Division matchup.Download complete game notes >>
*(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. Click here to download Acrobat Reader for free) Tune In Tonight!
Tonight's game will be televised nationally on Versus. You can also catch the radio broadcast on AM 970 The Apple and on satellite radio at XM 204.Rangers vs. Sharks Pre-Game Notes
* The Rangers 7-1-0 record ties the franchise record for best start through eight games, previously set in 1983-84 when the team began the season with a 9-1-0 mark through 10 games.
* The Rangers tallied one power play goal in Saturday's 4-1 win at Toronto, and have converted 10 of their last 27 chances (37.0%) with the man advantage over the last six games.
* Enver Lisin tallied his first goal as a Ranger on Saturday at Toronto.
* New York enters the contest riding an eight-game home winning streak dating back to last season, and is 12-1-0 in their last 13 regular season games at MSG
* The last time the Rangers won their first five games at MSG to begin the season was in 1990-91 (8-0-0)
The Rangers lead the league in total goals scored (32), and rank second in the NHL in goals against average (1.88).
* The Rangers last loss vs. the Sharks at MSG was Oct. 22, 2001 (2-0-0).
* The Rangers rank first in the NHL at home with a record of 4-0-0 (eight pts.) in four games; the Sharks have posted a record of 2-3-0 (four pts.) in five road games tying for 15th in the league.
* New York has posted a record of 2-0-0 vs. the Pacific Division; San Jose has registered a 1-0-0 mark vs. the Atlantic Division.
* Henrik Lundqvist
has posted a record of 1-1-0 with a 2.02 goals against average in two career regular season appearances against San Jose.
* Chris Drury leads the Rangers with nine goals and 18 points in 24 career regular season games against San Jose; Vinny Prospal has tallied a team-high, 10 assists in 21 career regular season contests vs. the Sharks.
* New York lists no former Sharks on its roster.
* San Jose lists two former Rangers on its roster: Jed Ortmeyer (2003-04 to 2006-07) and Manny Malhotra (1998-99 to 2001-02)All Time – Rangers vs. Sharks
At MSG: 8-2-1-0
At San Jose: 10-3-2-0
2008-09 Series Recap
New York was 0-1-0 against San Jose in 2008-09. The Rangers out-shot the Sharks, 34-30, including a 17-7 advantage in the third period in last season's matchup.
2009-10 - Rangers vs. San Jose
Oct. 19 Rangers vs. Sharks at MSGUpcoming Regular-Season Schedule
Oct. 19 Rangers vs. San Jose, 7 p.m.
Oct. 22 Rangers vs. New Jersey, 7 p.m.
Oct. 24 Rangers at Montreal, 7 p.m.
Oct. 26 Rangers vs. Phoenix, 7 p.m.
Oct. 28 Rangers at Islanders, 7 p.m.Injuries
* The Rangers have lost 5 manpower games due to injury or illness this season.Highlights from Hartford
Follow the progress of the Rangers' top prospects:
The Wolf Pack dropped a pair of games over the weekend, losing 6-3 in Portland (Buffalo affiliate) on Friday night and falling by a 2-1 score at Springfield (Edmonton affiliate) on Saturday. Saturday’s contest saw the Pack outshoot the Falcons 33-14 and snapped a streak of eight straight Hartford wins over Springfield. The two defeats dropped the Wolf Pack’s record to 2-4-0-0, heading into a three-game weekend this weekend. The Pack visit Adirondack (Philadelphia affiliate) on Friday (7:30), to finish off a season-opening stretch of six out of seven on the road. The club then starts a five-game homestand with games at the XL Center vs. Lowell (New Jersey affiliate) Saturday (7:00) and Worcester (San Jose affiliate) Sunday (3:00).
For more Wolf Pack news, visit www.hartfordwolfpack.com