RANGERS vs. HURRICANES, 7pm
Madison Square Garden
MSG, 98.7 FM
The Rangers play their 37th game of the 2019-20 season and begin a back-to-back set tonight, December 27, against the Carolina
Hurricanes in a Metropolitan Division matchup at Madison Square Garden. New York has earned at least one point in 10 of the last 16 games (8-6-2 record).
RANGERS VS. HURRICANES
- All-Time*: 83-54-7-2 (50-18-4-2 at home; 33-36-3-0 on the road) *Note: All-Time record includes games against the Hartford Whalers from 1979-80 - 1996-97
- 2019-20: Tonight's game is the third of four meetings between the Rangers and Hurricanes, and the second of two meetings between the two teams at MSG. The Rangers have posted a 2-0-0 record (1-0-0 at home; 1-0-0 on the road), following their 3-2 win on Nov. 27 at MSG. Henrik Lundqvist has posted a 2-0-0 record, along with a 2.00 GAA and a .956 SV% (86 saves on 90 shots) in two appearances, and he has made at least 40 saves in each contest. He is the second Rangers goaltender since expansion (1967- 68) who has posted two 40-save wins against one opponent in the same season. Artemi Panarin leads all skaters with three assists and four points in the season series, and he has posted a multi-point game in each of the first two contests. Adam Fox leads all skaters with two goals in two games. Following tonight's game, the Rangers and Hurricanes will face each other on the following date: Feb. 21 (at Carolina).
- The Rangers have won 29 of their last 35 games against the Hurricanes, dating back to Feb. 22, 2011 (29-6-0 record).
- New York has earned a win in 17 of its last 18 home games against Carolina (17-1-0 record), dating back to Jan. 5, 2011.
- Phillip Di Giuseppe played parts of four seasons with Carolina (2015-16 - 2018-19) and was selected by the Hurricanes in the second round (38th overall) of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
- Greg McKegg played parts of two seasons with the Hurricanes organization (2017-18 and 2018-19), including one season with Carolina (2018-19).
- Adam Fox was acquired by the Rangers from Carolina on Apr. 30, 2019. Fox was previously acquired by Carolina from Calgary on June 23, 2018.
- Hurricanes Goaltending Coach Jason Muzzatti played part of one season with the Rangers (1997-98).
- Marc Staal and Jordan Staal are brothers. Marc and Jordan, along with their brother, Eric, are the only trio of brothers in the history of the NHL, NFL, MLB, or NBA who were all selected 12th overall or higher in the Draft.
INDIVIDUAL CAREER STATISTICS VS. HURRICANES
- Henrik Lundqvist - 45 GP, 32-12-1, 1.98 GAA, .935 SV%, 2 SO - Lundqvist has posted a 9-1-0 record, along with a 1.50 GAA and a .959 SV% in his last 10 appearances against the Hurricanes; he has allowed two goals or fewer in all 10 appearances, including one goal in five of those games. In his last 27 appearances against Carolina (dating back to Feb. 22, 2011), Lundqvist has posted a 23-4-0 record, along with a 1.69 GAA, a .948 SV%, and 1 SO.
- Mika Zibanejad - 23 GP, 9-12-21 - Zibanejad has tallied more points against the Hurricanes than against any other opponent in his NHL career. He has posted a multi-point game in four of his last nine contests against Carolina, recording 12 points (six goals, six assists) in those nine games.
- Chris Kreider - 25 GP, 10-7-17 - Kreider's 10 goals against the Hurricanes are tied for the most he has recorded against one opponent in his NHL career. Since the Whalers/Hurricanes franchise moved to Carolina prior to the start of the 1997-98 season, Kreider has tallied more goals against the Hurricanes than any other Ranger.
- Ryan Strome - 20 GP, 3-11-14 - Strome's 11 assists against the Hurricanes are tied for the most he has recorded against one opponent in his NHL career. He has registered eight points (three goals, five assists) in his last 10 games against Carolina.
- Jesper Fast - 22 GP, 4-9-13 - Fast has recorded more assists and points against the Hurricanes than against any other opponent in his NHL career. He has tallied an assist/point in four of the last eight games against the Hurricanes (five assists).
- Pavel Buchnevich - 12 GP, 3-7-10 - Buchnevich has tallied more assists and points against the Hurricanes than against any other opponent in his NHL career. He has recorded nine points (three goals, six assists) in the last eight games against the Hurricanes.
- Artemi Panarin - 14 GP, 3-7-10 - Panarin has registered a point in each of his last five games against Carolina (two goals, seven assists).
- Tony DeAngelo - 9 GP, 2-5-7 - DeAngelo has tallied more points against the Hurricanes than against any other opponent in his NHL career. He enters the contest with a three-game assist/point streak against Carolina (three assists).
- Adam Fox - 2 GP, 2-1-3 - Fox has registered a goal/point in each of his two career games against the Hurricanes.