RANGERS vs. COYOTES, 7 p.m.
Madison Square Garden
MSG Network, 98.7 FM
The Rangers play their seventh game of the 2019-20 season and continue a season-long five-game homestand tonight, October 22, against the Arizona Coyotes at Madison Square Garden. Including tonight's game, the Rangers will play six of their next seven games, and eight of their next 10 contests, at MSG.
RANGERS VS. COYOTES
- All-Time*: 47-26-6-1 (27-10-2-1 at home; 20-16-4-0 on the road) *Note: All-Time record includes games against the Winnipeg Jets from 1979-80 - 1995-96 and the Phoenix Coyotes from 1996-97 - 2013-14
- 2019-20: Tonight's game is the first of two meetings between the Rangers and Coyotes, and the only meeting between the two teams at MSG. Following tonight's game, the Rangers and Coyotes will face each other on the following date: Mar. 14 (at Arizona).
- 2018-19: The Rangers posted a 0-1-1 record (0-0-1 at home; 0-1-0 on the road). The Blueshirts were 3-for-8 (37.5%) on the power play in the season series and recorded a single-game season-high three power play goals on Dec. 14, 2018 at MSG.
- The Rangers have earned at least one point in 10 of their last 11 games against the Coyotes, dating back to Mar. 24, 2014 (9-1-1 record); the Blueshirts posted a nine-game winning streak against the Coyotes from Mar. 24, 2014 to Jan. 6, 2018 and a 10-game point streak from Mar. 24, 2014 to Dec. 14, 2018 (9-0-1). The Rangers' nine-game winning streak was their longest winning streak against the Jets/Coyotes franchise in the Blueshirts' franchise history, and their 10-game point streak was also the longest point streak against the Jets/Coyotes franchise in the Rangers' franchise history.
- Nine of the last 16 meetings between the Rangers and Coyotes have been decided by one goal.
- Tony DeAngelo played his rookie season in the NHL with the Coyotes (2016-17), and he was acquired by the Rangers from Arizona on June 23, 2017.
- Derek Stepan played seven seasons with the Rangers (2010-11 - 2016-17).
- Antti Raanta played two seasons with the Rangers (2015-16 and 2016-17).
- Michael Grabner played parts of two seasons with the Rangers (2016-17 and 2017-18).
- David Oliver played nine games with the Coyotes during the 1999-00 season.
- Greg Brown played nine games with the Winnipeg Jets during the 1994-95 season.
- Benoit Allaire was the Coyotes Goaltending Coach for seven seasons (1997-98 - 2003-04) before joining the Rangers organization.
- Coyotes Assistant Coach John MacLean played parts of three seasons with the Rangers (1998-99 - 2000-01).
- Adam Fox and Clayton Keller were teammates with the USNTDP in 2014-15 and 2015-16 and helped the United States win a silver medal at the 2014 World U17 Hockey Challenge, a bronze medal at the 2016 IIHF U18 World Championship, and a gold medal at the 2017 IIHF World Junior Championship.
- David Quinn was Clayton Keller's Head Coach during Keller's only season at Boston University (2016-17). In 2016-17, Keller received the Tim Taylor Award as the top freshman player in collegiate hockey.
INDIVIDUAL CAREER STATISTICS VS. COYOTES
- Alexandar Georgiev - 1 GP, 0-0-0, 0.00 GAA, 1.000 SV% - Georgiev stopped all eight shots he faced after entering the game in the second period in his only career appearance against the Coyotes on Jan. 6, 2019 at Arizona.
- Artemi Panarin - 10 GP, 2-8-10 - Panarin has recorded a point in six of 10 career games against the Coyotes, and he has posted three multi-point games.
- Chris Kreider - 9 GP, 7-1-8 - Kreider has registered a goal/point in six of his last eight games against the Coyotes (seven goals, one assist).
- Mika Zibanejad - 9 GP, 2-5-7 - Zibanejad has registered three multi-point games over his nine career contests against Arizona. He has tallied three points (one goal, two assists) in the last four games against the Coyotes.
- Jacob Trouba - 14 GP, 2-4-6 - Trouba has recorded four points (one goal, three assists) in his last three games against Arizona, as well as six points (two goals, four assists) in his last seven contests against the Coyotes. He has also posted a plus-11 rating against the Coyotes in his career. Trouba established a single-game career-high with three assists and tied a single-game career-high with three points on Oct. 20, 2018 vs. Arizona.
- Pavel Buchnevich - 4 GP, 3-0-3 - Buchnevich has recorded a goal/point in each of his two career games against the Coyotes at MSG (three goals), and he posted his first career multi-goal game in the NHL on Oct. 26, 2017 against Arizona at MSG.
Tonight's game is the Rangers' 1,998th all-time regular-season game at the current Madison Square Garden, as well as the 1,999th alltime regular-season NHL game played at the current MSG (the Philadelphia Flyers played one home game at MSG on Mar. 3, 1968 against the Oakland Seals as a result of damage to the roof at The Spectrum). The current MSG is expected to host its 2,000th all-time regular-season NHL game on Oct. 24 vs. Buffalo, and the Rangers are expected to play their 2,000th all-time regular-season game at the current MSG on Oct. 27 vs. Boston.
SMOOTH SAILING ON THE PACIFIC
Since the start of the 2015-16 season, the Rangers have posted a 36-18-8 record in 62 games against Pacific Division opponents, including a 22-6-4 record in 32 games against Pacific Division opponents at MSG.
BREAD AND BUTTER
Mika Zibanejad has been on the ice for 12 of the Rangers' 17 goals this season, and Artemi Panarin has been on the ice for 11 of the team's 17 goals. In addition, Zibanejad and Panarin have both been on the ice for 10 of the Blueshirts' 17 goals in 2019-20. Panarin has registered four goals this season, and Zibanejad has tallied an assist on all four goals.
Ten different Rangers have registered at least one goal through the first six games this season.
Through six games this season, six of the Rangers' 17 goals (35.3%) have been scored by players who were not on the team last season (Panarin - four; Kakko - one; Trouba - one).
Mika Zibanejad has registered 11 points (four goals, seven assists) in six games this season, and his 11 points are tied for the thirdmost a Ranger has recorded through the team's first six games of a season in franchise history (the most is 12 - Rod Gilbert in 1971-72 and Ron Greschner in 1984-85). He ranks third in the NHL in points per game in 2019-20 (1.83). In addition, he ranks second among NHL forwards in average ice time this season (22:54). Nine of Zibanejad's 11 points thus far this season have either been a goal or the primary assist on a goal.
ALEXANDAR THE GREAT
Alexandar Georgiev is expected to make his third start/appearance of the 2019-20 season tonight, as well as his first start/appearance of the season at MSG. Last season, Georgiev posted a 7-3-3 record, along with a 2.23 GAA, a .931 SV%, and 1 SO in 14 appearances at MSG. Among NHL goaltenders who made at least 10 home appearances in 2018-19, Georgiev ranked third in SV% and ranked eighth in GAA at home last season. He has made at least 30 saves in each of his two appearances in 2019-20.
Henrik Lundqvist has made 989 career appearances (regular-season and playoffs combined) as a Ranger. He is 11 appearances away from becoming the sixth player to appear in at least 1,000 career regular-season and playoff games with the Rangers in franchise history (along with Brian Leetch, Harry Howell, Rod Gilbert, Ron Greschner, and Walt Tkaczuk).
STATE OF THE ART-EMI
Artemi Panarin has recorded a goal/point in four of six games this season (four goals, two assists), including each of the last two games. He has registered 15 points (10 goals, five assists) in nine career games at MSG; he has tallied a point in eight of the nine games and has recorded a goal in six of those contests. Since he entered the NHL in 2015-16, Panarin is tied for eighth in the league in points (326; tied with Alex Ovechkin).
Jacob Trouba is tied for eighth in the NHL in average ice time this season (25:00), and he is the only NHL player who is averaging at least 4:00 of power play ice time and 3:00 of shorthanded ice time per game. He established a single-game career-high with eight shots on goal on Oct. 18 at Washington, and he leads NHL defensemen in shots on goal per game this season (4.00; 24 shots on goal in six games). Trouba has recorded an assist/point in four of six games this season (one goal, five assists), and he is tied for sixth among NHL defensemen in points per game this season (1.00).
- The Rangers were 0-for-3 (6:00) on Oct. 20 vs. Vancouver.
- The Blueshirts have tallied at least one power play goal in three of six games this season.
- The Rangers were 2-for-3 (5:37) on Oct. 20 vs. Vancouver.
- The Blueshirts are tied for second in the NHL in shorthanded goals this season (two).
- New York Rangers - 3 home games away from 2,000 all-time regular-season games at the current Madison Square Garden (expected to reach milestone on Oct. 27 vs. Boston)
- Henrik Lundqvist - 11 appearances away from 1,000 (regular-season and playoffs combined) in his NHL career/with the Rangers
- Tony DeAngelo - 1 game away from 100 with the Rangers
- Ryan Strome - 2 points away from 200 in his NHL career
- Mika Zibanejad - 3 games away from 500 in his NHL career
- Brendan Smith - 5 points away from 100 in his NHL career
- Brady Skjei - 9 points away from 100 in his NHL career/with the Rangers