RANGERS vs. BLUES, 7:00 pm
Madison Square Garden
MSG, 98.7 FM
The Rangers play their 66th game of the 2019-20 season and continue a four-game homestand tonight, March 3, against the Blues at Madison Square Garden. The Blueshirts have won five of the last seven games (5-2-0 record), nine of the last 12 games (9-3-0 record), 10 of the last 14 games (10-4-0 record), and 12 of the last 17 games (12-5-0 record).
RANGERS VS. BLUES
- All-Time: 81-45-16-2 (48-14-6-1 at home; 33-31-10-1 on the road)
- 2019-20: Tonight's game is the second of two meetings between the Rangers and Blues, and the only meeting between the two teams at MSG. The Rangers have posted a 0-1-0 record (0-0-0 at home; 0-1-0 on the road), following the Blues' 5-2 win on Jan. 11 at St. Louis. Filip Chytil tallied two points (one goal, one assist) in the contest.
- The Rangers have earned at least one point in eight of their last 11 games against the Blues, dating back to the start of the 2014-15 season (6-3-2 record).
- John Davidson played two seasons with the Blues (1973-74 and 1974-75). He was selected by St. Louis in the first round (fifth overall) of the 1973 NHL Amateur Draft, and he was acquired by the Rangers from the Blues on June 18, 1975. In addition, Davidson served as the Blues' President of Hockey Operations for six seasons (2006-07 - 2011-12).
- Blues Assistant Coach Marc Savard played parts of two seasons with the Rangers (1997-98 and 1998-99) and was selected by the Blueshirts in the fourth round (91st overall) in the 1995 NHL Entry Draft.
- Ryan Strome and Jordan Binnington were born on the same day (July 11, 1993). Both players represented Canada at the 2013 IIHF World Junior Championship and were teammates with the OHL All-Stars during the 2012 Canada Russia Series.
INDIVIDUAL CAREER STATISTICS VS. BLUES
- Alexandar Georgiev - 2 GP, 1-0-1, 2.97 GAA, .924 SV% - Georgiev made 44 saves and earned a win in his last appearance against the Blues on Mar. 29, 2019 at MSG.
- Artemi Panarin - 15 GP, 4-12-16 - Panarin has tallied an assist/point in each of his last three games against St. Louis (six assists), and he has posted a multi-assist/point game in two of the three contests. He has recorded an assist/point in seven of his last nine games against the Blues (two goals, 11 assists).
- Mika Zibanejad - 12 GP, 5-7-12 - Zibanejad has tallied a point in six of the last eight games (four goals, four assists) and in nine of 12 career games against the Blues. He has also tallied three goals in the last five games and four goals in the last seven games against the Blues.
- Pavel Buchnevich - 7 GP, 1-4-5 - Buchnevich has notched an assist/point in four of the last five games against the Blues (one goal, four assists).
PLAYING THE GAME
Tonight's game is the Rangers' 6,500th all-time regular-season game. The Blueshirts and Chicago Blackhawks are each playing their 6,500th all-time regular-season game tonight, becoming the fifth and sixth NHL teams, respectively, to play 6,500 regular-season games in league history.
The Rangers have posted an 18-7-0 record in their last 25 games which have followed a loss, dating back to Oct. 22 vs. Arizona. In addition, when playing at MSG in the game following a loss over the span, the Blueshirts have posted a 12-4-0 record. The Rangers have posted a 4-1-0 record in the game following their last five losses and a 6-2-0 record in the game following their last eight losses.
The Rangers have recorded 30 regulation wins this season and have earned 34 of their 35 wins in 2019-20 in either regulation or the five-minute overtime period. New York's 30 regulation wins in 2019-20 are tied for the fourth-most in the NHL (tied with St. Louis and Washington) and are tied for the most in the Metropolitan Division.
RANK AND FILE
Since Jan. 7, the Blueshirts are tied for third in the NHL in wins (16), are tied for first in regulation wins (14), rank fourth in points (32), rank second in goals per game (3.46), and rank sixth in goals against per game (2.71).
HOME SWEET HOME
The Rangers have won nine of their last 15 home games, dating back to Dec. 22 (9-6-0 record). The Blueshirts have also earned at least one point in 15 of their last 25 home games (14-10-1 record).
The Blueshirts have tallied at least three goals in six of the last seven games, in 10 of the last 12 games, and in 12 of the last 15 games. New York ranks sixth in the NHL in goals per game this season (3.32).
The Rangers posted an 11-4-0 record in February this season. The Blueshirts' 11 wins in February in 2019-20 were the most the team has earned in the month in one season in franchise history.
THIRD PERIOD IS THE CHARM
The Blueshirts have outscored opponents, 84-58, in the third period this season, and their plus-26 goal differential in the third period this season is the best in the NHL.
ALEXANDAR THE GREAT
Alexandar Georgiev has posted a 4-2-0 record with a 2.64 GAA and a .926 SV% in his last six appearances. He has established a career-high in wins this season (16). Georgiev has won 13 games when making at least 30 saves this season; his 13 different 30-save wins are tied for the fifth-most in the NHL in 2019-20.
Artemi Panarin is one of five active NHL players who have tallied at least 400 points in their first five seasons in the league (Ovechkin, Crosby, McDavid, and Malkin). Panarin enters the contest with a 13-game point streak, which is his career-high and the longest active point streak in the NHL. He also enters the contest with a six-game assist streak, which is tied for his career-high and is the longest active assist streak in the NHL. Panarin ranks third in the NHL in points (90) and ranks second in the NHL (first among forwards) in plus/minus rating (plus-34) this season, and he has established a career-high in points. He leads the NHL in even strength points (67), even strength assists (42), 5-on-5 points (57), and 5-on-5 assists (36) this season. Panarin has notched a point in 32 of the Rangers' 35 wins in 2019-20.
Mika Zibanejad was selected as the NHL's Second Star of the Month for the month of February. Since Jan. 31, his 14 goals and 26 points are both the most in the NHL. Zibanejad posted a career-high nine-game point streak from Feb. 11 - Feb. 27 and a career-high six-game goal streak from Feb. 16 - Feb. 27, and his six-game goal streak was tied for the longest goal streak in the NHL this season. Zibanejad has established a career-high in goals this season (32), and he is the first Ranger who has tallied 30 or more goals in two consecutive seasons since Jaromir Jagr in 2005-06 and 2006-07. He ranks ninth in the NHL (min. 10 games played) in points per game (1.25) and ranks fourth in the NHL (min. 10 games played) in goals per game (0.62) this season.
WHAT THE FOX SAYS
Adam Fox leads NHL rookies in plus/minus rating (plus-20) and takeaways (55) this season. His 55 takeaways are the second-most an NHL rookie defenseman has recorded in one season since the league began tracking the statistic in 2005-06. Fox also ranks third among NHL rookie defensemen in points this season (35); the last NHL rookie defenseman who finished a season with 35 or more points and a plus-20 rating or better was John Carlson in 2010-11.