Coming off a big win in Philadelphia, the Rangers played another strong road game in Washington on Sunday afternoon, but had to settle for one standings point instead of two when Mike Green scored on a power play in OT for a 3-2 Capitals victory.
| Box ScoreTHREE STARS OF THE GAME
1. O. KOLZIG -- WSH
2. B. GORDON -- WSH
3. S. AVERY -- NYR NOTES
* For the first time in his NHL career, Stephen Valiquette started two games in a row in goal. Valiquette made 21 saves this afternoon.
* The Rangers are 7-7 in overtime this season, but 0-2 against the Caps in the extra session, losing both times on goals scored by defenseman Mike Green.
* Chris Drury scored his team-leading 18th goal of the season in the second period. He has six goals in his last seven games.
* Scott Gomez earned an assist on Sean Avery
’s first period goal. Gomez leads the Rangers in assists with 42 and points with 55. He also won 73% of his faceoffs today.
* Defenseman Paul Mara also assisted on Avery’s goal, and he led the team with 5 shots on goal.
* Petr Prucha left the game in the second period and did not return because of “an upper body injury”. His status will be evaluated further during the week.
* Alternate captain Brendan Shanahan missed his fifth straight game due to a sore knee and hip.