A late-Sunday afternoon matchup against a surging Phoenix Coyotes team turned into a long 60 minutes for the Rangers, as they fell 5-1 at The Garden. Dan Girardi
scored the lone Blueshirts goal on a power play to spoil Ilya Bryzgalov's shutout bid.
Recap THREE STARS OF THE GAME
1. J. PERRAULT -- PHO
2. R. VRBATA -- PHO
3. I. BRYZGALOV -- PHO
* Dan Girardi
notched a goal, on the power play, at 11:27 of the third period. He has now registered four points (three goals and one assist) in the last eight games. Girardi also dished out four hits in 20:45 of icetime.
* Scott Gomez tallied a power-play assist and won 10 of 15 faceoffs (67%). He extended his points streak to five games, recording six points (one goal and five assists) over the span, and has now collected 22 points (four goals and 18 assists) in the last 21 games. In the last six games, Gomez has won 57 of 83 faceoffs for a 69% faceoff winning percentage.
* Chris Drury collected an assist on Girardi’s power-play goal and won 11 of 16 faceoffs (69%) in 18:34 of icetime.
* Fedor Tyutin tied a season-high with seven shots on goal and dished out four hits to increase his team-leading total to 94 hits on the season. His seven shots also marked a game-high.
* Nigel Dawes delivered four hits and logged 12:11 of icetime in his first appearance following his recall from the Hartford Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League (AHL).
* Greg Moore skated in his second game of the season, logging 12:53 of icetime, following his recall from the Hartford Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League (AHL).
* The Blueshirts converted on one of three power-play opportunities and have now tallied seven goals in their last 33 power play attempts (21.2%), including three multi-goal efforts, in the last eight games.
* The Rangers have sold out 92 consecutive regular season games.