The Rangers played a strong game in Vancouver on Thursday night, outshooting the Canucks by a wide 28-19 margin. But there was no solving netminder Roberto Luongo on Thursday. Vancouver's goalie stopped all 28 shots in a 3-0 Canucks win.
RecapTHREE STARS OF THE GAME
1. R. LUONGO -- VAN
2. R. KESLER -- VAN
3. W. MITCHELL -- VANNOTES
* With Thursday night's loss, the Rangers reached the midpoint of their season, and their 20-17-4 record after 41 games played is exactly the same as it was a year ago halfway through the 2006-07 campaign.
* The Rangers were shut out for the fifth time this season.
* Scott Gomez had his career-high 13-game point-scoring streak snapped. Jaromir Jagr’s eight game point-scoring streak also was stopped.
* Defenseman Paul Mara led the Rangers with six shots on goal.
* Ryan Hollweg and Mike Brown dropped the gloves and engaged in a fight only four seconds after the opening face-off.
* Brendan Shanahan, scratched because of a sore neck, missed his first game of the season. He was replaced in the lineup by Petr Prucha, who returned after missing two straight games with an injured wrist. Prucha finished with four shots on goal, second-most on the team.