It was only a matter of time before the Rangers' power play began to click, and that time came in the first period on Friday against Washington at Madison Square Garden. The Blueshirts scored three times with the man-advantage and coasted to a dominating 3-1 win over a previously unbeaten Capitals team. Scott Gomez, Martin Straka and Michal Rozsival scored the Rangers' goals.
THREE STARS OF THE GAME
1. J. JAGR -- NYR
2. S. GOMEZ -- NYR
3. O. KOLZIG -- WASNOTES
* Jaromir Jagr tallied three assists and now has five assists in two home games this season. With his second assist of the night, he passed Paul Coffey and now ranks 11th on the all-time NHL scoring list with 1,533 points (621 goals and 912 assists) in 1,195 career matches.
* Scott Gomez notched his first goal/point as a Ranger at 1:33 of the first period. The goal also represented the Blueshirts’ first power-play tally of the season.
* Henrik Lundqvist
stopped 24 of 25 shots to improve his record to 2-2-0, including a 2-0-0 mark at MSG this season.
* Marcel Hossa assisted on Martin Straka’s game-winning goal, a power play mark, at 13:26 of the first period. He has recorded at least one point in the last two games (two assists) after not dressing for the first two games of the season.
* Chris Drury recorded one assist and has now registered four points (one goal and three assists) in two home games this season. Drury also won 13 of 19 faceoffs (68%).
* Michal Rozsival tallied a power-play goal at 17:59 of the first period and logged a team-high 25:35 of icetime. He is tied for the team lead in goals (two) and his two goals are also tied for first in the NHL among defensemen.
Brendan Shanahan registered an assist on Scott Gomez’s first-period power-play goal, and fired a team-high seven shots on goal in 20:45 of icetime.
* New York out-shot Washington, 41-25, and have now out-shot their opponents in three of four contests this season.
* The Rangers have sold out 77 consecutive regular-season games.