Rangers backup goalie Stephen Valiquette finally got the call to start on Saturday night in the Hall of Fame Game at Toronto's Air Canada Centre, and he made the most of his opportunity. Valiquette turned away 32 shots, and Brendan Shanahan and Marcel Hossa scored back-to-back goals in an overtime shootout as the Rangers edged Toronto 3-2 for the season's first road victory.
RecapTHREE STARS OF THE GAME
1. B. SHANAHAN -- NYR
2. A. PONIKAROVSKY -- TOR
* Scott Gomez tallied an assist to extend his scoring streak to six games, registering seven points (two goals and five assists) over the span. Gomez has also registered an assist in four straight games.
* Sean Avery
notched a goal and added an assist. He has collected five points in the last three games (two goals and three assists).
* Stephen Valiquette stopped 32 shots in regulation and overtime in his first start of the season. The victory was the fifth of his NHL career.
* Brendan Shanahan took sole possession of the Rangers' goal-scoring lead with his fifth goal of the season.
* The Rangers had entered the game with a league-best 1.67 goals-against average, while Toronto's 3.53 GAA was 29th in the 30-team league.
* The Rangers have sold out 85 consecutive regular season games.