The division-leading Rangers got their two-game trip through the Sunshine State off to a strong start on Wednesday night, as goaltender Henrik Lundqvist
made 32 saves in a 2-1 win over the Tampa Bay Lighnting at the St. Pete Times Forum. Fedor Tyutin and Colton Orr scored the goals for the Blueshirts, who surged into a tie with Carolina for second place in the Eastern Conference.
Recap THREE STARS OF THE GAME
1. H. LUNDQVIST -- NYR
2. F. TYUTIN -- NYR
3. J. HOLMQVIST -- TBNOTES
* Forward Colton Orr scored his first goal of the season, and the third of his 111-game NHL career, in the third period. It proved to be the game-winner.
* Orr's goal was the first by a Rangers forward in three games.
* When Fedor Tyutin scored in the first period, it marked the sixth consecutive goal, covering the last three games, scored by a Rangers defenseman, a team record.
* Michal Rozsival, the team’s leading goal scorer with 7, did not play because of a bruised knee.
* Winger Sean Avery
left the ice late in the third period after taking a slap shot off of his left hand. He did not return to action.
* Forward Greg Moore and defenseman Ivan Baranka
, recalled from the Rangers' AHL affiliate in Hartford on Tuesday, both made their NHL debuts.
* Center Blair Betts, who has played in all 22 Rangers games this season, recorded his first point, an assist on Fedor Tyutin’s goal in the first period.