Looking for a sixth consecutive victory on Monday night at Madison Square Garden, the Rangers came up just short, falling 2-1 to a determined Islanders team despite 22 saves from goaltender Henrik Lundqvist
and a shorthanded tally by Michal Rozsival, who notched his team-leading seventh goal. The Blueshirts, still atop the Atlantic Division, play next at Tampa Bay on Wednesday.
THREE STARS OF THE GAME
1. R. DiPIETRO -- NYI
2. J. VASICEK -- NYI
3. M. ROZSIVAL -- NYRNOTES
* Michal Rozsival tallied a shorthanded goal and logged 23:11 of icetime. He has registered two shorthanded marks and three goals in the last two games. Rozsival eads the team and ranks first in the NHL among defensemen in goals scored with seven.
* Brendan Shanahan collected an assist and fired a team-high, three shots on goal. He has now recorded five points (two goals and three assists) in the last five games.
* Chris Drury registered an assist and has now tallied three assists in the last four games. He raised his season totals to 10 assists and 13 points, which ranks third and tied for third, respectively.
* Henrik Lundqvist
stopped 22 of 24 shots to drop his record to 11-8-1 on the season and 8-2-0 in his last 10 games. He has held opponents to two or fewer goals in 14 of 20 games this season, including 10 of the last 14.
* Sean Avery
dished out a team-high, seven hits and logged 17:14 of icetime. The Rangers have posted a 7-2-0 record in nine games since his return from a shoulder injury on Nov. 3 vs. New Jersey.
* The Rangers' last five goals have been scored by defensemen, including three goals from Rozsival, and one each from Dan Girardi
and Jason Strudwick.
* The Rangers have sold out 86 consecutive regular season games.