As the Rangers get set to face the Los Angeles Kings in Stockholm, Sweden, here is a review of some of the most memorable opening-night moments in Blueshirts history.
• The Rangers are 35-36-13 all-time in 84 season-opening games, including a 25-27-8 record in 60 season openers away from MSG. The Blueshirts' .483 winning percentage in season openers on the road ranks ninth in the NHL.
• The Rangers have outscored their opponents, 241-236 in season-openers.
|Rangers forward Derek Stepan made last season's opening night a game to remember by becoming the first Ranger to score a hat trick in his NHL debut. |
• Rangers Head Coach John Tortorella ranks fifth among active NHL head coaches in season openers with a record of 6-2-0 in eight career season-opening games for a .750 winning percentage.
• Blueshirts legend Andy Bathgate holds the franchise record for most assists and points in a season-opening game, having registered four assists and five points on Oct. 7, 1955 at Chicago. His four assists and five points in the 1955-56 season opener are tied for second all-time in the NHL. Former Ranger Walt Tkaczuk also tallied four assists in a season-opening game on Oct. 9, 1974 vs. Washington.
• Derek Stepan
tallied three goals while making his NHL debut in last season's opener on Oct. 9, 2010 at Buffalo. His three goals tied the franchise record for goals in a season opener, and he became the fourth player in NHL history and first Ranger to register a hat trick in his NHL debut. Ron Murphy, who skated with the Rangers from 1952-53 to 1956-57, also tallied three goals in the 1955-56 season opener at Chicago on Oct. 7, 1955.
• Stepan is one of two active players who have notched a hat trick in a season-opening game (Paul Stastny, Colorado).
• Former Rangers' captain Jaromir Jagr holds the team record for fastest goal to start a game in a season opener with his goal just 29 seconds into the contest on Oct. 5, 2006 vs. Washington.
• Andy Bathgate, Rod Gilbert and Walt Tkaczuk are tied for the Rangers' record for most career points in season-opening games, with each player having tallied 13 career points in season openers.
• Former Rangers' goaltender Gump Worsley holds the franchise record for most opening night wins with five career wins in season-opening games. Henrik Lundqvist
has registered four career wins in season-opening games.