• Game Notes
The Rangers will begin their 2010-11 regular season tonight against the Buffalo Sabres at HSBC Arena (7:00 p.m.), marking the 85th anniversary of the team's inception, dating back to 1926-27. Here is a look at some historic opening-night facts:
• The Rangers are 34-36-13 all-time in 83 season-opening games, including a 24-27-8 record in 59 season openers away from MSG.
• New York has out-scored their opponents, 235-233 in season-openers.
|Rangers head coach John Tortorella has won five of seven season-openers to rank fifth among all active coaches with a .714 career winning percentage. |
• Entering the season, Rangers Head Coach John Tortorella ranked fifth among active NHL head coaches in season openers with a record of 5-2-0 in seven career season-opening games for a .714 winning percentage.
• Blueshirts legend Andy Bathgate holds the franchise record for most assists and points in a season-opening game, having registered four assists and five points on Oct. 7, 1955 at Chicago. His four assists and five points in the 1955-56 season opener are tied for second all-time in the NHL. Former Ranger Walt Tkaczuk also tallied four assists in a season-opening game on Oct. 9, 1974 vs. Washington.
• Ron Murphy, who skated with the Rangers from 1952-53 to 1956-57, holds the franchise record for most goals by a Blueshirt player in a season-opening game, having tallied three goals in the 1955-56 season opener at Chicago on Oct. 7, 1955.
• Former Rangers' captain Jaromir Jagr holds the team record for fastest goal to start a game in a season opener with his goal just 29 seconds into the contest on Oct. 5, 2006 vs. Washington.
• Andy Bathgate, Rod Gilbert and Walt Tkaczuk are tied for the Rangers' record for most career points in season-opening games, with each player having tallied 13 career points in season openers.
• Former Rangers' goaltender Gump Worsley holds the franchise record for most opening night wins with five career wins in season-opening games.
The Rangers are 0-1-0 in season openers all-time vs. Buffalo, having been defeated by the Sabres, 1-2, in their only previous meeting in a season-opening game on January 20, 1995 at MSG.
• The Rangers have posted a record of 276-266-90 all-time in the month of October, including a 175-114-47 mark at home and a 101-152-43 record on the road. New York is scheduled to play 10 games during the season's opening month in 2010-11, with five games being contested at MSG and five scheduled on the road.
Legendary Rangers' defenseman Brian Leetch holds the franchise record for most points in the month of October, having registered 43 goals and 130 assists for 173 career points in the season's opening month.
• The Blueshirts' all-time leader for most career wins in the month of October is Mike Richter, who registered 40 career wins during the season's opening month.
• Last season, New York tied the franchise record for longest winning streak in the month of October, winning seven consecutive games from Oct. 3, 2009 vs. Ottawa to Oct. 17, 2009 at Toronto. The Rangers also won seven straight October games in 1988-89, beginning on Oct. 16 vs. Vancouver and ending on Oct. 30 vs. Pittsburgh. Their seven-game winning streak last season was also the team's longest since they won seven straight from Feb. 1, 2006 vs. Pittsburgh to Mar. 2, 2006 at Philadelphia.