The Rangers face-off against the Montreal Canadiens tonight at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.), in an Original Six matchup. The Blueshirts currently rank fourth in the Atlantic Division standings with a record of 40-30-9, and eighth in the Eastern Conference with 89 points. The Rangers enter today's contest having been defeated by the Bruins, 1-0, on Saturday at TD Banknorth Garden, and have won nine of their last 16 games (9-6-1). The Blueshirts are 10-3-2 in their last 15 games at MSG. Following tonight's contest, the Rangers will face-off against the Philadelphia Flyers on Thursday, April 9, at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.), in their 2008-09 regular season home finale. The Canadiens, 41-28-10, currently rank seventh in the Eastern Conference standings with 92 points, and have won five of their last seven games.Download complete game notes >>
*(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required. Click here to download Acrobat Reader for free)
Tune In Tonight!
Tonight's game will be televised on MSG Plus. You can also catch the radio broadcast on 1050 ESPN New York and on satellite radio at XM 205.
Watch and Win!
Fans watching tonight’s MSG Plus broadcast will learn a Secret Clue during the course of the game. Click here
to learn how one lucky fan can use this clue to win a spot in the annual “Blueshirts Off Our Backs” ceremony at MSG.
Rangers vs. Canadiens Pre-Game Notes
* The Rangers are 24-11-4 at home this season; The Canadiens have posted a 17-19-3 record in 39 road contests.
* The Rangers are 7-9-3 against the Northeast Division this season; The Canadiens have posted a 9-5-4 record vs. Atlantic Division opponents this season.
* In their last five contests vs. Montreal, New York has tallied six goals in 18 power play opportunities (33.3%).
* The Blueshirts have held opponents scoreless on the power play in 11 of their last 14 games at MSG (46-for-49, 93.9%).
* The Rangers have posted a 10-3-2 record in their last 15 games at Madison Square Garden.
* New York has notched four-or-more goals in eight of their last 11 games vs. Montreal, posting a 7-3-1 record over the span.
* The Blueshirts have posted a 30-17-7 record against Original Six opponents since the 2005-06 season, including an 8-5-2 mark vs. the Canadiens.
* Henrik Lundqvist
has posted an 8-4-1 record, along with a 2.93 goals against average and one shutout in 14 career regular season appearances vs. Montreal.
* In the season series, Chris Drury (one goal and two assists), Nikolai Zherdev (one goal and two assists) and Scott Gomez (three assists) are tied for the team lead with three points apiece in three games; Ryan Callahan
leads the Rangers with two goals in three games, while Gomez's three assists ranks first on the club.
* Gomez has registered 37 points (six goals and 31 assists) in 33 career games vs. the Canadiens; Drury has notched 28 points (11 goals and 17 assists) in 36 career games vs. Montreal; Wade Redden
has recorded 31 points (eight goals and 23 assists) in 61 career contests vs. the Canadiens.
* Zherdev is one goal shy of 100 career NHL goals; In 362 career games, he has registered 99 goals and 139 assists for 238 points.
* Artem Anisimov
, the Rangers' second round selection (54th overall) in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, has registered 35 goals and 43 assists for 78 points in 77 games with the Hartford Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League (AHL); He is currently tied for third in the AHL in goals (35) and tied for fourth in the league in points (78).
* New York lists no former Canadiens on their roster.
* Montreal's roster lists two former Rangers; Alex Kovalev (1992-93 to 1998-99, 2002-03 to 2003-04) and Mathieu Schneider (1998-99 to 1999-00).
All Time – Rangers vs. Canadiens
At MSG: 122-120-54-1
At Montreal: 64-193-40-12008-09 - Rangers vs. Canadiens
Dec. 4 Rangers 2, Canadiens 6 at Montreal
Jan. 7 Rangers 3, Canadiens 6 at MSG
March 17 Rangers 4, Canadiens 3 (SO) at Montreal
April 7 Rangers vs. Canadiens at MSG
Upcoming Regular-Season Schedule
April 7 Rangers vs. Montreal, 7 p.m.
April 9 Rangers vs. Philadelphia, 7 p.m.
April 12 Rangers at Philadelphia, 5 p.m.
Recent New York Rangers Games
Last 5 NYR games: 1-3-1
Last 10 NYR games: 5-4-1
* The Rangers have lost 30 manpower games due to injury or illness this season.
Highlights from Hartford
Follow the progress of the Rangers' top prospects:
The Wolf Pack (44-27-3-3, 94 points) maintained their hold on first place in the Atlantic Division with wins in two of their three games last week. The Pack finished their season series with the Portland Pirates (Buffalo affiliate) at 7-1-0-0, with a 5-3 victory at the XL Center on Wednesday. The Wolf Pack then set a franchise record with three shorthanded goals in a 6-0 triumph in Providence (Boston affiliate) on Friday, scoring their most lopsided win of the season. The week concluded with a 4-3 loss at home to Lowell (New Jersey affiliate) on Sunday, a defeat that ended a seven-game home winning streak for the Wolf Pack and was only their fourth regulation loss in 22 overall games (17-4-1-0). The Pack begin their last week of the regular season with a visit to Manchester (Los Angeles affiliate) on Wednesday night (7:00), before traveling to Lowell Friday (7:00) and wrapping up the regular season at home Saturday (7:00) vs. Springfield (Edmonton affiliate).
For more Wolf Pack news, visit www.hartfordwolfpack.com