The calendar closes out the month of March this week and the playoff races are in the final push. Check out NashvillePredators.com's sneak peak at this weekend's match-ups of immediate concern to the Preds and the Western Conference playoff race.
We're tracking all teams within six points of the Preds in the conference standings heading into this week's play.
|Team ||Points* ||Adjusted Wins^ ||Games Remaining* ||Max Pts** ||This Weekend's Schedule |
|#2 ||Detroit ||97 ||40 ||7 (4H/3A) ||111 ||Mon vs. CHI, Wed vs. STL, Sat at NSH, Sun vs. MIN |
|#3 ||San Jose ||97 ||39 ||6 (4H/2A) ||109 ||Thu vs. DAL, Sat vs. ANA |
|#4 ||Phoenix ||93 ||37 ||5 (3H/2A) ||103 ||Tue vs. DAL, Fri vs. COL |
|#5 ||Los Angeles ||92 ||34 ||7 (3H/4A) ||106 ||Tue at EDM, Thu at VAN, Sat vs. DAL |
|#6 ||Nashville ||92 ||35 ||6 (4H/2A) ||104 ||Tue vs. VAN, Thu at COL, Sat vs. DET |
|#7 ||Anaheim ||89 ||38 ||7 (4H/3A) ||103 ||Mon vs. COL, Wed at CGY, Sat at SJ, Sun vs. DAL |
|#8 ||Chicago ||88 ||35 ||8 (3H/5A) ||104 ||Mon at DET, Tue at BOS, Fri at CBJ, Sun vs. TBL |
|#9 ||Calgary ||87 ||30 ||5 (3H/2A) ||97 ||Wed vs. ANA, Fri at STL, Sun at COL |
|#10 ||Dallas ||86 ||33 ||8 (2H/6A) ||102 ||Tue at PHX, Thu at SJ, Sat at LA, Sun at ANA |
* as of all games played on Sun, March 27 ^ the first tie-breaker is regulation/OT wins (excluding shootout wins) Magic Numbers For The Preds:
** the most points a team can finish with in the '10-11 regular season (based on games played as of Sun, March 27)
The Preds cannot clinch a playoff spot during the mid-week; there remain possibilities for the Preds to clinch a playoff spot during the weekend ... Nashville has already secured a higher Conference placement than Edmonton, Colorado, Columbus, and St. Louis. The Preds need to clinch over three
more teams in order to secure a playoff spot ... The Preds have a magic number of 1 point to clinch over the Minnesota Wild (any combination on 1 Nashville point earned or Minnesota point failed to earn) ... The Preds have a magic number of 5 points to clinch over the Calgary Flames ... The Preds have a magic number of 11 points to clinch over the Dallas Stars ... The Preds have a magic number of 12 points to clinch over the Anaheim Ducks ... The Preds have a magic number of 12 points to clinch over the Phoenix Coyotes ... The Preds have a magic number of 13 points to clinch over the Chicago Blackhawks.Clinch Watch:
Vancouver has already clinched a playoff spot. Vancouver has also already clinched the division title and a guaranteed top-three seed in the Conference playoffs. The Canucks have a magic number of 3 points to secure the No. 1 seed in the Western Conference ... Detroit and San Jose both have magic numbers of 6 points to clinch playoff spots ... Detroit and San Jose are the only two teams in the West with a chance to clinch during the mid-week ... Edmonton and Colorado have been eliminated from playoff contention ... Columbus, St. Louis, and Minnesota can all be mathematically eliminated from playoff contention during the mid-week's games.Head-to-Head:
There are eight head-to-head match-ups this week involoving the nine teams in the No. 2 - 10 seeds in the Western Conference, including all four of Dallas's games this week (Tuesday at Phoenix, Thursday at San Jose, Saturday at Los Angeles, Sunday at Anaheim). The other head-to-head match-ups include: Chicago at Detroit on Monday, Anaheim at Calgary on Wednesday, Detroit at Nashville & Anaheim at San Jose on Saturday.Out-of-Conference:
There are two out-of-conference games that will impact the Conference playoff race: Chicago at Boston on Tuesday and Tampa Bay at Chicago on Sunday.The Week That Was:
The seven teams from the No. 2-10 seeds in the Western Conference posted a combined 15-6-4 record on the week ... Three of the eight head-to-head match-ups between the nine teams in that playoff pack went to overtime/shootout: LA's shootout win over Calgary on Monday, Anaheim's OT win over Dallas on Wednesday, and LA's shootout win over San Jose on Thursday ... Nashville and Los Angeles both posted 3-0-0 records on the week. San Jose went 2-0-1, while Anaheim (2-1-0) and Phoenix (2-1-0) also earned two wins on the week. Calgary (1-1-1), Chicago (1-1-0), and Detroit (1-1-1) each went .500 on the week, and Dallas picked up one point with a 0-1-1 mark.
If teams finish the season with the same number of points, the following procedure is used to determine seeding:1. The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout (NEW for 2010-11). This figure is reflected in the ROW column.
2. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.
3. The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season.Nashville's tie-breaker situation vs. playoff packAnaheim
- Anaheim leads ROW (38 wins to 35 wins); Nashville won season series (6pts to 2 pts).
- Nashville has secured Tie-Breaker vs. Calgary. Nashville won ROW (35 wins to 29 wins - Calgary can get a max ROW of 34 wins)
- ROW is tied (35 wins to 35 wins); Chicago won season series (8pts to 6pts).
- Nashville leads ROW (35 wins to 33 wins); season series split (4pts to 4pts); Nashville leads goal differential (+23 goals to -2 goals).
- Detroit leads ROW (40 wins to 35 wins - Nashville can get a max ROW of 41 wins); Nashville won season series (8pts to 2pts, 1 meeting remaining).Los Angeles
- Nashville leads ROW (35 wins to 34 wins); Los Angeles won season series (6pts to 2pts).
- Phoenix leads ROW (37 wins to 35 wins); season series split (4pts to 4pts); Nashville leads goal differential (+23 goals to +7 goals)
- San Jose leads ROW (39 wins to 35 wins); Nashville won season series (6pts to 4pts).