UPMC has become the “Season-Presenting Partner” of Pittsburgh Penguins hockey as part of a long-term extension of its sponsorship agreement.
Starting immediately, every Penguins season will be “presented by UPMC.”
The new agreement adds a dynamic new element to a wide-ranging partnership in which:
- UPMC became a founding partner at CONSOL Energy Center when the arena opened in 2010
- UPMC and the Penguins collaborated on the new UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex in Cranberry, which was funded by UPMC and opened in 2015
- UPMC doctors and specialists provide medical care to Penguins players and travel with the team to road games
- Joint programs include the Penguin players’ annual visit to Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC and the popular “It’s a Great Day for a New Baby” program at UPMC Magee. The Penguins and UPMC also have worked together to educate the community about concussion safety and to advance the treatment of concussions, especially in young athletes.
“The Pittsburgh Penguins’ relationship with UPMC is unique in sports because it is so much more than a traditional partnership agreement,” said David Morehouse, President and CEO of the Penguins. “The UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex is the first NHL practice facility to be integrated with a full-service medical complex. UPMC doctors treat our players and travel with our team on the road. And they’ve been a valuable founding partner since CONSOL Energy Center opened its doors. This new agreement to become our ‘season-presenting partner’ is the next step in the successful and long-standing collaboration between our two organizations.”
“UPMC takes tremendous pride in its active and innovative partnerships with professional, collegiate, high school and other youth sports organizations. From providing world-class sports medicine to first-of-their-kind training facilities to critical community education and outreach, we have set the bar high, and we are excited to continue our work with the Penguins. Together we can achieve even greater success,” said Jeffrey Romoff, President and CEO of UPMC.
As part of the new extension, UPMC will receive additional exposure in the arena and on many Penguins platforms, including digital. UPMC also will become:
- Presenting Partner for the Stanley Cup Playoffs
- Presenting Partner for the team’s new Fan Fest (August 2016)
- Presenting Partner for the Penguins’ annual Summer Sticks charity golf tournament and accompanying scholarship fund.
At the start of the playoffs, fans will notice new UPMC branding on the scoreboard and additional UPMC presence on the arena’s LED boards. UPMC also will be the sponsor of the 2-Minute Countdown and will be integrated into plaza banners outside CONSOL Energy Center.
# # #About UPMC
A world-renowned health care provider and insurer, Pittsburgh-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centered, cost-effective, accountable care. It provides more than $888 million a year in benefits to its communities, including more care to the region’s most vulnerable citizens than any other health care institution. The largest nongovernmental employer in Pennsylvania, UPMC integrates 60,000 employees, more than 20 hospitals, more than 500 doctors’ offices and outpatient sites, a 2.9-million-member health insurance division, and international and commercial operations. Affiliated with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC ranks No. 13 in the prestigious U.S. News & World Report annual Honor Roll of America’s Best Hospitals. For more information, go to UPMC.com.