Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Pittsburgh Penguins


by Staff Writer / Pittsburgh Penguins

Many fans filed into Mellon Arena on Saturday morning to catch their first glimpse of Sidney Crosby.

The first overall pick in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft did not disappoint. He scored two goals to lead Team Herbie to a 7-1 romp over Team E.J. in the day's second game of the Pittsburgh Penguins training camp tournament at Mellon Arena.

With the win, Crosby and Team Herbie (2-1) advance to Sunday's championship game at 10 a.m. against Team Francis (3-0). Team Francis beat Team Herbie 5-2 on Friday. Meanwhile, Team E.J. (1-2) and Team Badger (0-3) meet at 8 a.m. in the third-place game.

Jonathan Filewich gave Team Herbie a 1-0 lead when his backhander snuck past Andy Chiodo's leg pad. It was his fourth goal of the tournament.

Maxime Talbot made it 2-0 when he converted a backhander on a penalty shot.

Crosby scored the final two goals of the first period. His first came on a penalty shot when, despite the puck bouncing awkwardly on his approach, Crosby was able to flip it under Chiodo's right arm. The second came on a nifty wraparound backhander with 2:01 left on the clock.

"I think he was kind of surprised he scored on the penalty shot because the puck kind of bounced up and I don't think he realized it, but he was able to get it past Andy," Penguins coach Eddie Olczyk said. "The backhand goal was tremendous - that showed a lot of poise. "I was more impressed with the three passes he and (Mark) Recchi made in between the red line and blue line and the chemistry they are building. I look at that more than the finished product."

Ryan Stone gave Team Herbie a 5-0 lead when he converted a penalty shot near the start of the second period. He scored again when he banged in Noah Welch's rebound for a 6-0 advantage.

Drew Fata's shot from the blue line through traffic found its way into the net for a 7-0 Team Herbie advantage.

Team E.J. broke Marc-Andre Fleury's shutout bid when Rich Hansen was able to slide the puck past Fleury during a scrum in front of the goal.

Team Francis 7, Team Badger 5

Kenny Corupe had a goal and three assists to lead Team Francis to the wild win in Saturday's first game.

Matt Hussey wristed a shot past Sebastien Caron to give Team Francis a 1-0 lead.

However, Team Badger (0-3) scored the next three goals to post a 3-1 edge. Ryan Malone converted on a penalty and later lifted the puck past Dany Sabourin on a breakaway. Konstantin Koltsov's backhander capped the three-goal spree.

Guillaume Lefebvre converted on a penalty shot to cut the deficit to 3-2. Kristopher Letang's backhanded goal on a penalty shot tied the score at 3-all heading into the intermission.

Jordan Morrison slid the puck past Sabourin on a penalty shot near the start of the second period to give Team Badger (0-3) a 4-3 edge.

Letang's high wrister past Caron's glove knotted the game at 4-4. Stephen Dixon's goal gave Team Francis a 5-4 lead.

However, Ben Eaves took Koltsov's nice cross-ice feed and tapped it past Sabourin to tie the game at 5-5.

Corupe gave Team Francis the lead for good when he roofed a shot past Caron. Paddock added the empty-net goal for the 7-5 triumph.

Sabourin earned the victory. He stopped 21 of 26 shots. Caron saved 12 of the 18 shots he faced.

View More